StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My just-shy-of-one-year-old '08 DL650 has light rust and pitting on the fork legs. None where it slides, but that's probably because my fork seals have been dutifully cleaning it off. That's pretty annoying; I've never seen that problem on any of the other bikes my wife and I have had, including two that were over 15 years old when we bought them.

I know this is a cost-conscious model, but -- really? What did Suzuki cheap out on? Coating? Material?

I'm thinking some Mother's chrome cleaner and then a light coat of either oil or car wax. I also periodically apply a smear of silicone to the fork seals to help keep them supple.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Beware

Wouldn't want any oil getting into the clamping surfaces on the triple clamps, or you may find the front end kinda vague feeling. My personal favorite rust inhibitor is Boeshield T9, which seems to do a dandy job displacing moisture and leaves a light waxy coating for long-term protection, although you'd want to apply with a cloth rather than spraying it on. Beware of getting anything on the sliding surface of the tube that would collect dust, as that'll wear out your seals in short order, and perhaps lead to scratches and fork-oil leaks. Kinda figure the forks weren't designed for constant moisture immersion. Does it ever dry out there in Seattle?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beware of getting anything on the sliding surface of the tube that would collect dust,
I just wipe that off, and will do so more diligently in the future after a wet ride.

I settled on Mother's to polish the sliders, then a coating of Meguiar's wax on the upper section only (not the sliding part). Worked ok.

Does it ever dry out there in Seattle?
Yeah, July and August are usually dry. :-|

1 - 3 of 3 Posts