StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done alot of searches and seem to be going round and round. Is there a specific suppension thread? Should there be?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Those helped some. I've used the google search and been to 4 differrnt websites/forums. Question is; why sonics over progressive? Are emulators or intimidators neccessary with a sring upgade? I'm 215 lbs. Mostly country bumpy roads, but always looking for those fire roads.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The question of single rate vs progressive springs is an interesting one.

I bought sonic single rate springs for my wee. Recently a friend challenged me on that decision; "why not progressives?". I couldn't answer. "'Cause that's what everyone else uses." Is the best I could come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The question of single rate vs progressive springs is an interesting one.

I bought sonic single rate springs for my wee. Recently a friend challenged me on that decision; "why not progressives?". I couldn't answer. "'Cause that's what everyone else uses." Is the best I could come up with.
SonicSprings.com

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
...Are emulators or intimidators neccessary with a sring upgade? I'm 215 lbs. Mostly country bumpy roads, but always looking for those fire roads.
Not necessary, but helpful. You can try just springs and oil first and see how that is for your riding. Add emulators if you think you need them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. There's alot more organized information on the vstrom.internatioal website. I've been to the sonic site, makes sense but progressives make sense too. I'll probaly go straight sonics cause it seems easier to dial in & Greywolf has them. I'm used to thumpers. ( big dirt bikes) but i don't know what kind of springs they had, yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm looking for fork springs too, and while the explanation on the Sonic Springs make sense, I'd still like to debate if having the rebound damping off is worse than bottoming the suspension?

A friend of mine is racing ATV, and we're seeing a lot of multi-springs setup. Basicaly, instead of getting custom-made progressive rate springs, they combine 2-3-4 springs with different rate at the same time. As MX ATV have less suspension travel than mx bikes , they need that kind of setup to get plush suspension on the first few inchs, will being stiff enough to allow the landing of big jumps.

maybe i'm wrong, but I think the same apply for me. I want a confortable ride, but I bottom the suspension every now and then when road get bad or that I ride with a passenger, or both

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
...A friend of mine is racing ATV, and we're seeing a lot of multi-springs setup. Basicaly, instead of getting custom-made progressive rate springs, they combine 2-3-4 springs with different rate at the same time. As MX ATV have less suspension travel than mx bikes , they need that kind of setup to get plush suspension on the first few inchs, will being stiff enough to allow the landing of big jumps...
It's the "landing off big jumps" that's the crucial difference. (Well, that and the fact that it's a four wheel vehicle). Totally changes the sorts of compromises you need to make.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As soon as I made my mind up Greywolf has to go and screw it all up again. Fortunately I can't afford his new set up. I'll be giving Rich a call soon. It sure would be nice to ride 2 different bikes, 1 with straight springs & 1 with progressives, just to feel the difference.:yikes:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
As soon as I made my mind up Greywolf has to go and screw it all up again. Fortunately I can't afford his new set up. I'll be giving Rich a call soon. It sure would be nice to ride 2 different bikes, 1 with straight springs & 1 with progressives, just to feel the difference.:yikes:
What? I haven't even posted in this thread.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
38,104 Posts
Relax then. Sonic springs alone improved the stock suspension 90% of what the Traxxions did for under 10% of the money. If I rode off pavement though, the numbers could be a lot different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Hey Black Lab, what do you run on yours?, and do you still get buffeting with your naked front end?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Relax then. Sonic springs alone improved the stock suspension 90% of what the Traxxions did for under 10% of the money. If I rode off pavement though, the numbers could be a lot different.
GW - Sonic better than Progressive springs?? Even if it's just your opinion,...

·
38,104 Posts
Not having used both, all I can say is I liked the Sonics.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The stock springs are dual rate, .65 kg/mm and .85. That's pretty soggy for most folks. I've switched to straight rate springs suitable for my weight and like the result. One problem with progressive rate springs is that there's no source (that I know of) where you can get the rates that best suit both your riding weight and your riding style.

The Vee has cartridge dampers in the forks. Those are considered better than the damping rod type in the Wee & Glee. RaceTech has improved valves for the Vee.

I really like my straight rate springs (from Sonic) and the Ricor Intiminators damping valves, along with some mods to the ports in the damping rods. With some trial work the RaceTech emulators also do a very good job.

Start with springs that match your riding weight and riding style, and try changing the fork oil viscosity (10 wt is stock). If that's not adequate, consider the Intiminators or the emulators.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts