StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a '05 DL1000 and I weigh 255 lbs. I installed a fork brace (which improved handling) and my question is this. Does the fork brace replace the need for heavier fork springs or should I also install the heavier fork springs.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Fork braces and springs are completely different. The only thing that they share is that they can both improve handling characteristics.

A fork brace helps prevent the fork tubes from flexing and twisting. It has nothing to do with the spring rate. The springs provide suspension.

·
Registered
654 Posts
one thing someone said in here that makes sence is try using a higher forl oil. stock is 5T, try going to 10T or 15T even. May be enough for you, or you may feel you want more. Personlly I think the bike nose dives to much for me so fork oil may help else new springs. But hey 80$ gets new springs. I got fork brace as well btw

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Well, heavier fork oil won't decrease the "amount" of brake dive your experiencing just how fast they dive...only heavier springs will shorten how far they dive.

Heavier springs are a good invesment, check out Sonic Springs good quality springs and good product support.

Ron W.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
At 255lbs, you will feel a day & night difference by upgrading to heavier springs.

It's one of the least expensive and tangible handling changes you can make on some bikes.

I'm 225lbs, and will absolutely be upgrading my springs next season.

·
Registered
654 Posts
now her eis a question, will the ride itself suffer, IE will changing to sonic springs make the bile a lot less comfortable to not noticeable idea. In cars harder springs mean harder ride but cornering becomes much more fun, so trying to get down the diea of motorcycling handling still.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fork spring keep the front end in proper position. Oil height and weight controls dampening. Raise the height or high weight changes dampening by slowing down the rate the fork moves (up and down). Heavier springs with lighter weight (5w) is the best package and the ride quality is better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I weigh 225 lbs. and have done the following to my DL1000 K3 suspension:

Sonic 1.0 fork springs-$80
Silkolene 5 wt. fork oil to factory fill specs.-$25
Richland Rick fork brace-$80
Cleaned and greased all rear suspension pivot points-$5
Sasquatch Suspension rear shock rebuild with stiffer spring-$450+shipping

I did all of the work myself so saved significant money there. In short the bike is transformed! The handling is awesome and my sport bike buddies can't believe how nice it rides and how well it corners.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I bought my DL1000 this summer the PO gave me a set of Sonic Springs that he never got a chance to install. From what I am reading, I should have them put in. Question, this is well beyond my mechanical abilities, about how much would a dealer charge to do this and would they know how to do it correctly.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question, this is well beyond my mechanical abilities, about how much would a dealer charge to do this and would they know how to do it correctly.
I can't answer that one. I do my own work because I can. I would be very careful and try to find out from others who does quality work regardless of price.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
about how much would a dealer charge to do this and would they know how to do it correctly.T
Well, "dealer, probably way too much. A suspension shop, installed and set up for your weight, approx $150ish I would guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts