StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally contacted the fine prople at sonic springs and ordered my front springs.

how do i get the tops of the forks off without gauling them.:furious:
i have changes springs in both my bonnies anf my tiger and no matter how careful i was i always got the top "nut" messed up.

should i use a piece of inner tube?

thanks
joe

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
They come off very easily. I just used a regular socket and left no marks whatsoever.
A socket or open end wrench will get the caps off, but you should back out the preload adjusters first. Finding a tool that won't gall those slots is the challenge.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Use tools that fit just right. The right screwdriver in the preload adjusters in important, as is a wrench that fits the hex just right. If you can find a six point socket, that'll put the pressure on a larger area and have even less chance of boogering everything up.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Use tools that fit just right. The right screwdriver in the preload adjusters in important
If you can point me to a source, I've been looking for years! I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take a chisel to a grinding wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
i finally contacted the fine prople at sonic springs and ordered my front springs.

how do i get the tops of the forks off without gauling them.:furious:
i have changes springs in both my bonnies anf my tiger and no matter how careful i was i always got the top "nut" messed up.

should i use a piece of inner tube?

thanks
joe
Inner tube is too thick. Cut a square of plastic out of a heavy-duty ziplock bag and use that over the nut. (cut a hole in the center for the preload adjuster to stick up through) Craftsman 6 point impact sockets fit well.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
+1 on 6 point sockets, I had to make my own screwdriver to adjust the preload, even my largest screwdriver was to small. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks.
for the preload i found a letter opener that had a thick flat handel the at fit perfectly and used an adjustable wrench on the handel

·
Registered
363 Posts
Before I reassemble, I put the cap on top of the tube (w/o spring) and turn it CCW until I feel\hear the click then I mark this spot so that when I'm putting them on with spring I know where the threads start to engage. I find this little trick makes it easier for me to get the cap started.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Guilty I boogered mine

Make sure you continue pressure until you have over a turn on her

If your doing steering head the tang on the lock washer may have damaged the threads

I cleaned them up with a triangle file and its OK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts