StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a line on some used Race Tech 1.0 springs off a 05 Wee for a good price. For my weight (~200 lbs), these will be stiff according to their spring rate calculator. Couple of questions: I have a 2012 model and will these springs still fit (i.e. are fork diameters the same)? Also, I ride primarily on gravel forest service roads and have not noticed much of an issue with the current suspension set up other than a tendency for occasionally bottoming out on hard hits. Could I expect to achieve a better set up than stock if I installed these springs with a lower weight oil or other "tuning"?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
They will fit, you may have to make new spacers. Rate-wise they're not ideal (0.90s would be), but they will be better than stock. Use 10w oil with them and set the level (air gap) at 150mm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my forks rebuild with racetech emulators and stiffer springs. I love that the front end doesn't dive when I brake but they are a bit firmer than I like and the bike doesn't seem to turn as nimble. maybe its just in my head.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had my forks rebuild with racetech emulators and stiffer springs. I love that the front end doesn't dive when I brake but they are a bit firmer than I like and the bike doesn't seem to turn as nimble. maybe its just in my head.
I am looking to do this on the cheap and as most of the FSRs I am riding on are pretty well maintained, the big hits are rare and will leave off the emulators for now. As well, this is only my second bike and front suspension is one of the many areas that I am less then specialized in; as a result, I do not want to get too carried away with my needs. Looking forward to diving in as I have serviced my KLR forks and the process seems similar. I do a fair bit of highway riding, and any improvements would be a bonus, but I have little to compare to as the KLR is the only other bike I have ridden on the street.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
:) Hi Brad, unless you have already purchased these 1.0 springs; pass on them because of the weight. At ~200 you really do need a set of 90wt for a great ride. These 1.0 springs are meant for riders north of 255, That is a lot different than 200 lbs.

Be patient, used springs will come up in the weight range that will give you the benefit and ride you are really looking for,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have already bought them Blair, so I will make them work... Might not be ideal, but it will give me a different set up that I can play with. I got 230 lbs when I used their calculator, so thought them close enough.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
to be honest - sell them to someone else and buy some 0.90kg or even 0.85kg one side and 0.90kg on the other.

unless you carry a heavy tank and crash bar bags, they are way too stiff for you - you will just hate it. even if you ride 2 up, its way too stiff for you.

i am 210lbs out of shower these days and i find 0.90kg perfect

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to be honest - sell them to someone else and buy some 0.90kg or even 0.85kg one side and 0.90kg on the other.

unless you carry a heavy tank and crash bar bags, they are way too stiff for you - you will just hate it. even if you ride 2 up, its way too stiff for you.

i am 210lbs out of shower these days and i find 0.90kg perfect
I do carry quite a bit of gear in Aerostich tank panniers but I will try them and if they are too stiff, then will attempt to resell them.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I do carry quite a bit of gear in Aerostich tank panniers but I will try them and if they are too stiff, then will attempt to resell them.
Set them up with a little less oil, 160mm. That will help a little. If you need a set of instructions PM me your email address.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
put a zip tie on your fork stanchion so you can monitor the total amount of travel used - serves as evaluation tool - spirited riding without panic brake to point of lock up should see you using up to 85% of the available travel. with no more than 25mm left for those WTF moments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts