StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what it is? Feels stiffer than the older version.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It does feel stiffer than the Wee which was something like a .76kg/mm average on a progressive spring. Nearly as stiff as the 0.90kg/mm Sonics on my K7.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does feel stiffer than the Wee which was something like a .76kg/mm average on a progressive spring. Nearly as stiff as the 0.90kg/mm Sonics on my K7.
Yeah, it feels about the same as .9's to me as well. Several times I've swapped through .9, .95, 1.0, and 1.1 on the '07 bike.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
If somebody sends me one I'll be glad to measure it. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'll have a pair to send if I ever get around to it! Bought Sonic 1.1kg/mm almost the same day I bought the bike, but I don't want to take the bike offline for maintenance during riding season.

I've been afraid to post it, but was thinking about supporting the bike, removing the fork caps, and carefully drawing the spacer and springs straight up and out while trying to allow the oil to run back down into the fork tube, then sliding the new spring in and putting it all back together.

The bike is brand new - the oil should be good and it's level is 'factory-set.' All I need to do is remove factory coils and put Sonics in. There's got to be a way to "cheat."

·
38,048 Posts
Maybe the volume of oil coating the old spring will be made up by the larger spring size. I would think about using heavier oil to go with the heavier springs though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have a pair to send if I ever get around to it! Bought Sonic 1.1kg/mm almost the same day I bought the bike, but I don't want to take the bike offline for maintenance during riding season.

I've been afraid to post it, but was thinking about supporting the bike, removing the fork caps, and carefully drawing the spacer and springs straight up and out while trying to allow the oil to run back down into the fork tube, then sliding the new spring in and putting it all back together.

The bike is brand new - the oil should be good and it's level is 'factory-set.' All I need to do is remove factory coils and put Sonics in. There's got to be a way to "cheat."
Swapping the springs out takes me about 20 minutes. You won't lose much oil if you draw them out slowly. Use a shop rag around the top of the fork tube to contain the mess.

You just need to determine spacer length to account for differences in the length of your new vs. old springs. I use a tubing cutter to cut the PVC pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts

Why though?? It only takes an hour or so to do it the right way. The fork oil may be newish, but it's probably not the right weight. Also, it gets dirty quickly when the bike is new, as the bushing and sliding surfaces wear into each other.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, it gets dirty quickly when the bike is new, as the bushing and sliding surfaces wear into each other.
Very true! I was amazed how dirty it was at 600 miles when I put the Ricors in.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the input (and sorry for hi-jack)!! I have been inspired to do it on my next non-moto-camping weekend. :thumbup:

I guess I've also been held back by teetering back and forth between a quick-n-dirty "spring only" change, and doing all the research required to do a full springs+emulators+oil viscosity change.

Figuring all that stuff out at once makes my head hurt.

EDIT: 2012 Wee springs offered to Rich Desmond for test via PM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts