StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing my steering head bearings I decided to do the fork seals. This is the second time i had to do this in 63k miles. I was hoping on finding a way to protect hte seals a bit more. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
Fit fork gators to keep the gunk out.
Note: Those I suggest above are just from a quick look, but are said to be universal. You would need to check that the smaller end would match the tube and the fatter end the stanchion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I
Fit fork gators to keep the gunk out.
Note: Those I suggest above are just from a quick look, but are said to be universal. You would need to check that the smaller end would match the tube and the fatter end the stanchion.
I did order some gaiters, but i got the wrong size. I was considering the neoprene style, would those work? For the gaitors what size would i need?

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
The fork tube diameter is 43mm, so the smaller end 43-46mm ID that can be squeezed by a clamp. Most often the lower end just sits over the stanchion without a clamp and would need to be 60mm, but you could use a clamp if it is a loose fit. I believe that most universal fork boots are about that, and are long enough.
Just check out the specs of what you fancy. Happy retail therapy.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I use full tube neoprene gaiters on my farm bikes.

They will fit any bike, they don't rot and fall apart like rubber ones and they work !

One problem is if you do get a leak (unlikely) you may never know.

My farm bikes don't get a lot use so I have never actually worn out a pair so I don't know what their life is like.

I fitted rubber ones to my BMW just because they suit the look of bike better than the neoprene.

Many years ago I tried the neoprene ones that wrap around and fix in place with Velcro, I will never again bother using them, to many places for the crud to get past the gaiter.

I'm currently waiting on another delivery from China, I have a couple of new bikes that need the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Agree fork gaiters work a treat at keeping debris off the seal ultimately keeping debris from getting in between the seal and the fork to create a leak. The neoprene type with Velcro closures are easy on/off. Hold the bottom in place with a zip tie.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Greywolf was a our guru.

I never liked the Ronko boots idea with a fork brace, they were not secured in place at the bottom and "I believe" the fork can move faster than the boot making a gap and allowing crap in, but that is only my belief and I have no proof.

For the gaiter to be truly affective it must cove the "entire usable part of the inner tube."

Lets not forget on the down stroke air will be expelled but on the up stroke it will be sucked back in.

On all my forks I have a loose fitting cable tie, it indicates just how much travel I'm using, my son recently used my V2 and I could clearly see he had used more than the average travel and the seals had gotten onto the very dirty part of the slide and would have picked up some extra crud.

I thought I had caught him doing wheel stands and landing badly but he tells me he hit a speed hump at way above average speed using up more than average travel.

Between my dust seals and my oil seals I put a small strip of green kitchen scourer, this helps clean the tube and collect the crud, after my sons adventure the other day I changed the strip and it was clear it had been doing it's job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts