StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suspension felt a little weird today and looked down to find this.

All after 2500 mile but there 6+ inches of snow coming so I guess I have some time to fix it.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Before you change the seal get a seal doctor and give them a clean, most times there is no physical problem with the seal there is just crud caught under the seating surface but do check for pits in the fork tube and clean them up if required.

Before you put the outer dust cover back into place get one of the green kitchen scourer, cut a strip off one edge. wrap it around the inner tube and put the cover back in place.

Depending on the type of ridding you do change it out every 3 to 6 months.

You should never see another seal leak as it cleans the fork tube and collects the crud before it can reach the seal.

Reactions: Hank122 and V-Tom

·
Registered
452 Posts
^^^ What he said!

Reactions: vegashotwheeler

·
Registered
682 Posts
Camera film used to work great for cleaning seals...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Camera film used to work great for cleaning seals...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Had to clean mine last summer, used a plastic milk carton and cut it in the shape of the tool mentioned above. Worked the shiz!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you change the seal get a seal doctor and give them a clean, most times there is no physical problem with the seal there is just crud caught under the seating surface but do check for pits in the fork tube and clean them up if required.

Before you put the outer dust cover back into place get one of the green kitchen scourer, cut a strip off one edge. wrap it around the inner tube and put the cover back in place.

Depending on the type of ridding you do change it out every 3 to 6 months.

You should never see another seal leak as it cleans the fork tube and collects the crud before it can reach the seal.

It is sadly beyond cleaning. It failed pretty catastrophically. I might even need to replace the brake pad on the that side. Enough oil came out that is ran down the whole lower tube.

Rancho fork boots will stop that problem.
I've been meaning to get some. I can't even tell what really happened. There didn't seem to be anything under the dust seal. The grease that was left over from installation was perfectly clean. I kinda think seal was just defective.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Glad this popped up when it did.
Working on a buddies bike and it had a little sheen on fork, installed fork brace and it started dripping.
Fortunately I had calipers already moved as I was running Galfers lines so no fluid on brakes.
So I'm replacing seals and thought that seal doctor is sweet and would piss off my wife!
So Got it on order for future use:grin2:
Also ordered Rancho shock boots to try and help prevent future leaks, but threatened him I was ordering the boots in Dildo pink >:)

SO here is my question.
Do you see any long term issue with the green scrubby pad being inside the upper portion of the fork?
Mike

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Mike for many years I used sponge rubber soaked in fork oil under the dust cover to help keep things clean on all my bikes (dirt & road), it worked great on dirt, mud and dust but dried up bugs were still a problem so I tried the scourer a year or so back and the results have been great.

With the V2 having upside down forks and fork guards I did not think the scourer would be required but I was wrong, I got a leak, the Dr and scourer took care of it.

I will continue to use it until it stops working or I think of something that I think may work better.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My only concerns with the scrubber is you basically are putting a piece of sand paper in there.
I'm willing to try it since its my buddies bike >:)
Mike

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
It's only plastic and wears down over time, any crud that gets past the dust seal is collected and stored in the scourer.

Under normal conditions anything that gets past the dust seal sits on the oil seal.

I have gone from leaks to no leaks so I must be in a better position and my seal & inner tube must be in better condition than they would be without the scourer.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My wife only keeps those white magic eraser or whatever they call them in the house, so guess I'll stop by the 99 cent store while out today and grab a green scrubby.
Gotta run for fork oil anyway.
Don't know what the previous owner of my buddies bike had in the forks, it smells like burnt gear oil.
Mike

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Fork oil goes off and smells real bad.

I have changed the fork oil in many old trail bikes that would have never had a oil change in their life and they smell like rotten fish.

I use ATF it seems more heat stable that fork oil.

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
55 Posts
Couple of things. First, use SKF fork seals. A little more money, but when compared to the work of replacing them, it's a no brainer. I used to use only OEM seals in all my customer's bikes and had a low failure rate. Switched to SKF about 5 years ago and my failure rate has gone to near zero. I probably only had 1 set fail on me in the last 2 years (and I do a lot of forks). Second, make sure you clean your fork sliders really well and often. You can use a green Scotch Brite scrubby pad to really get bug carcasses off there. Those buggers when they dry on a tube can damage seals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts