Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I f'ed up guys.

Doing fork seals. Got the new seal in sideways. Gave up once I realized the seal was going to be garbage anyway. Tried to reseparate the top and the bottom leg...that's when things got really bad. I yanked to separate....the legs got stuck all the way apart. Like the stuff on the bottom of the top leg is stuck in the wacked seal.

This is bad. I can't get them to compressed OR pull apart. Its two empty legs with only the seal holding them together like a vise.

Any ideas....the last thing I want to do is end up with a replacement leg.

Rob

·
Registered
479 Posts
I f'ed up guys.

Doing fork seals. Got the new seal in sideways. Gave up once I realized the seal was going to be garbage anyway. Tried to reseparate the top and the bottom leg...that's when things got really bad. I yanked to separate....the legs got stuck all the way apart. Like the stuff on the bottom of the top leg is stuck in the wacked seal.

This is bad. I can't get them to compressed OR pull apart. Its two empty legs with only the seal holding them together like a vise.

Any ideas....the last thing I want to do is end up with a replacement leg.

Rob
Rob, it's difficult to follow what exactly happened based on your description of events.

Let's start at the beginning, what forks are you working on, 650 or 1000? What year is it?

The seals can be installed upside down but not sideways, unless you did something completely unexpected. Did you take any pictures of the forks while you were doing the dismantling and reinstall? Perhaps you can post some pictures and walk us through step by step what got you to this point. There are lots of people on this site that would love to help you solve this puzzle. Hope all works out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. Working on a 650. 05 i think. I have 20 bikes so years can be vague :)

Fork completely disassembled and ready for reassembly with new seal.
I begin reassembly.
I slide the top tube into the bottom tube of the fork.
I then insert the dampener with the spring and the chrome spacer on the bottom.
I slide on the new seal.
I have used pvc pipe to seat the seal on my KLRs so I adopted that strategy first. The diameter of the upper tube on a DL is bigger than a KLR so I didn't have pvc that fit it perfectly. The one i used was a little too big.
I stopped using the pvc after I could see the seal was not sliding in straight....one side was seating and the other wasn't.
Switched and tried the thick masking tape on the fork leg method. Could not get the seal to budge as it was in crooked.
Decided that seal was likely garbage anyway so decided to disassemble and start again with another new fork seal.

That is where it got worse.
I pulled the legs as if you were pulling them apart to change the seals. Yanked to separate them. They slid and hit the end and stuck. The seal didn't come out and the legs are "stuck". I can't even get them to slide back on each other to try the yank apart method again.

It is going to be because the seal is in there caddy wampus. I just don't know how the hell I'm going to get the seal out so the legs will come apart.

Let me know what you think. I can show pics but its basically a fully extended fork leg with a bad seal.

Rob

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Don't feel bad i followed Black Labs instructions implicitly...until I screwed up and put the wrong part in first.
To get it out I took a propane torch and heated the leg up a bit and tapped it against the vice and it slowly backed out. Then i opened the vice jaws and continued to tap the part out though the gap in the vice jaws.
Once it fell out I got the assembly correct and put it back together. No sweat once the f-up was corrected.
Hopefully you will be able to correct your goof. Best of luck.
Try pouring a bit of fork oil in the top of the leg and let it work around the parts. It may lube it enough to facilitate pulling the leg apart.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe a member is nearby and can come over to help.

I would try clamping your top fork leg back into the triple tree, snug it down, and with a short piece of wood against the top rim of your fork lower give it a solid whack with a mallet or sledge.

Or use a short hydraulic bottle jack rigged up to push between the lower triple tree and the lower fork leg.

You 've removed the damper, right?

·
Registered
916 Posts
If the chrome spacer you are referring to is the part on the diagram called "oil lock piece", it should go in the fork lower before the upper tube is slid into the lower. Then damper rod goes in. That could be sideways and stuck. Perhaps a thin wire, coat hanger, etc., could be inserted to wiggle that around a bit.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had the same problem. Turned out it wasn't the seal stopping the tubes from separating but the inner bushing jamming inside the outer bushing. I removed the seal by filling the fork tube with motor oil and capping it off and compressing it in a jig. (Suggested by Bazooka Joe) The oil forced the seal out. https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-service-maintenance-questions-discussions/423855-need-help-seperating-upper-lower-fork-tubes.html To install with a not perfect sized piece of PVC pipe get an extra "spacer washer" that normally goes under the seal and use it between the pipe and seal. It is the perfect size to press the seal in. Lube the seal with fork oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located? Maybe a member is nearby and can come over to help.

I would try clamping your top fork leg back into the triple tree, snug it down, and with a short piece of wood against the top rim of your fork lower give it a solid whack with a mallet or sledge.

Or use a short hydraulic bottle jack rigged up to push between the lower triple tree and the lower fork leg.

You 've removed the damper, right?
I'm in the Seattle area. Using the trees to hold everything is a good idea. Would be able to put more force on the separation without worrying about damaging the forks. I also like the jack idea. I have a hydraulic press and was trying to imagine a way to rig it up. The tree and jack might just work...

Yes. The damper is out again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem. Turned out it wasn't the seal stopping the tubes from separating but the inner bushing jamming inside the outer bushing. I removed the seal by filling the fork tube with motor oil and capping it off and compressing it in a jig. (Suggested by Bazooka Joe) The oil forced the seal out. -maintenance-questions-discussions/423855-need-help-seperating-upper-lower-fork-tubes.html[/url] To install with a not perfect sized piece of PVC pipe get an extra "spacer washer" that normally goes under the seal and use it between the pipe and seal. It is the perfect size to press the seal in. Lube the seal with fork oil.
I read through the post that you linked to. that seems like a really good method and seems like it would work if.....

In my case the tubes are stuck together at the farthest possible length. I can't get them to separate OR compress. I've even tried a block of wood and a mallet to get them to compress and it was a no go. I think I might be headed the direction of bolting in into the triple tree and trying to rig up a hydraulic jack.

Maybe...

·
Registered
426 Posts
The setup I used for compressing the fork to pop the seal would also work to unstick your tubes. Could do it flat on a work bench by screwing blocks of wood to the bench. Once the seal was out I could see that I was making progress bit by bit. In the end I noticed the shop had used one bushing that looked different from the rest.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had the same problem. Turned out it wasn't the seal stopping the tubes from separating but the inner bushing jamming inside the outer bushing.
This. It's more likely the outer bushing not releasing. The outer bushing had to have come out when you pulled out the original seal. You haven't mentioned anything about reseating it, did that go in crooked?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This. It's more likely the outer bushing not releasing. The outer bushing had to have come out when you pulled out the original seal. You haven't mentioned anything about reseating it, did that go in crooked?
Yes! I think that went in crooked!

They are apart!

I inserted the stuck leg into the triples and tightened. I then ran the axel through the leg up to the "thick part" of the axel. Gave it a couple downward whacks with a deadblow...not very hard either...and the bottom of the leg came right off. The bushings stayed in the bottom leg. I was able to get the fork seal (which wasn't stuck) out with a flathead. The bushings then slid out.

You can see in the pics that somehow the inner bushing got all sideways.

I don't think anything expensive was damaged. New seals are ordered.

I have one question. Is the thin inner bushing part 5 or 10 on the skematic? I can't post the link to the skematic...not enough posts.
I think its 10 but I hate ordering the wrong parts.

Thank you,
Rob

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have one question. Is the thin inner bushing part 5 or 10 on the skematic? I can't post the link to the skematic...not enough posts.
I think its 10 but I hate ordering the wrong parts.

Thank you,
Rob
I believe #5 goes on the bottom of the fork tube (the inner bushing) and #10 sits below the seal (the outer bushing). I'd just replace all the bushings.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice work Rob!

I think I remember seeing a complete seal and bushing kit online while researching seal replacement options for my sons bike. It was a while ago and my memory aint no more what it once was...:frown2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good ol' brute force and dead blow hammer, My Hero!
With new parts it otta be good!
Yeah the important (expensive) stuff on that front end is pretty stout. I didnt worry about the fork lower or the axel. The top leg is a bit fragile but never had to take a hit.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
The forks on my salvage, 05, Wee were bent and I had a difficult time getting the spring out of one side. I finally went to a friends house with a 20 ton press and used V blocks to get the leg more straight.
We eventually got the spring out.
Those forks bend easily when arguing with a car but they are still a stout bit of tubing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
An old backyard mechanic trick I use when I'm installing new seals:

I don't have a dedicated seal driver. I use the old seal(s) that I took out, I cut a slit in them with a hacksaw, and then I install them up-side-down OVER the new seal and use whatever pipe extension I need to drive the new seals in until they're seated. The old seals keep the new ones from damage and they fit into the recess so fully drive the new ones into place. Use anything you can fashion into a hook or pry to tug the old seals out. The slit you cut in them will help you get the old seals out easily.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts