StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am 1200+ miles from home in Payson AZ. with a leaking right front fork.
I went to the Phoenix area and two big Suzuki shops, with their networks and all, and not a single Fork Seal kit to be found in AZ.:jawdrop: I have only 10000 mi. on the bike. I found a small link that suggested a piece of 35mm film and stick it down between the seal and metal and rotate it a few times should remove the debris that might be causing the leak. Has anyone had this happen to them on their 2012 yet? I'm going to scrounge up some film and try this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the dust cover up and the top seal is bulging out of its groove both fore and aft of the tube. Can the seal be pushed back in? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a spring clip called a ring stopper, part #51556-38B0, that holds the seal in place. Yours may be missing. Without it in place, you can push the seal down but it won't stay down.

·
38,103 Posts
There is no bulging. You are seeing the spring clip. Use the film trick. It's likely to fix things.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is a gizmo called a Seal Mate that also cleans the seal to stop leakage if the leak is due to dirt. The Seal Mate might be easier to find than film these days.
Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, very timley:thumbup:. I used an old negative to help clean it. I removed the dust seal from the other fork and the spring clip looks the same, so that form must be normal. I watched the video on the Seal Mate. Looks like that would work also. Off to San Diego tomorrow, miles will tell......
Thanks again.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've made the hook out of the clear plastic container that fruits and vegetables come in. Good results! Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem with mine after just a few hundred miles last year and rather than take it to the dealer for a warranty repair and lose riding time I thought I'd try the seal mate and it solved the problem. It does'nt take a very large piece of grit to cause the oil to seep past the seal. It would be easy to make your own if you could find the right kind of plastic. I guess 35mm film could work if you can find it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had leaks on both front seals on my 2012 ADV which is the only issue I have had with the bike other than the 4700 rpm crash bar vibration. The dealer replaced both seals under warranty, but it took 2 months because as the OP noted, there weren't any seals available. Fortunately the 2 months were Jan and Feb and I live in Colorado. But apparently, the seals may be prone to some leakage :thumbdown:

As for the 4700 rpm vibration, that is fixed also. See my post in the "4700 rpm vibration" thread for the poop on that one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow! I consider myself lucky... my right fork seal began leaking and the Mgr at my local shop noticed it while talking to me about the fork brace I installed. He immediatly had service order up the parts for BOTH seals and set up an appt... Suzeeki covered it and a week later the parts were in... I bought black rubber motocross fork boots, cut them to the right length, and zip-tied them (loosly) arounf the exposed fork tubes... I cut a slit up the back so I didn't have to remove the forks to put them on, plus I can remove them if need be. They actually get mud/debris on them when riding in dirt so I know that they must make the chances of dirt/damage related fork less probable.

... and they look pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
fork seals

Last winter I bought new oem fork seals for my '12 DL because I changing the fluid, adding gaiters and a brace. No leakage at 7K mi. before the service. I did notice that the '12 carried a different fork seal part number than an '11 model.

·
38,103 Posts
I've never had a seal problem on a bike with fork gaiters. Rancho RS1952 boots fit nicely. They do limit travel a little though. Cut off the bottoms if you have a fork brace and that can help the travel limitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar issue on a trip to Alaska a couple of years ago. I bought a bag of beef jerky while I was thinking about what to do. Then I realized that the jerky bag was pretty thin and stiff plastic. So I cut a piece off, ran it around my fork seals, and it worked great! No need to scrounge around for obsolete film or negatives.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I was getting ready to tear my front end off to fix a leaky left fork leak. Now I will try this fix or that plastic gizmo to see if it works. I'll post back up with results and pics. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I'd use some film from a digital camera.........
No, jpegs mix with the fork oil and can cause very poor handling.

A good idea (other than the fork gaiters) is to spray off the fork tubes after every ride that involves getting mud on them. If you don't, as the mud hardens, and then the suspension is compressed, hard particles are forced around the seals.

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
We had a little meet up on Sunday. The first half of the day had solid rain. After the weekend I looked at my bike yesterday and saw both front forks are leaking on my 2012 DL650. I never had for leaking on a bike before and was going to order a seal kit. Searching pointed me to the Seal Mate. My local bike store has them but it will be later in the week before I can get it.

Apart from watching the video online do any of you have any tips for doing this?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
NEOPRENE fork wraps

I used to use a length of neoprene wet suit with Velcro fitted so that the neoprene tube could be slipped around the intersection of the two fork tubes and then zip tied to the bigger diameter fork tube. It wipes the smaller tube and keeps crud off the seals.

I used this system on the Yamaha WRF enduro bike with upside down forks for years with great success.

See MSR easy -on- fork- skins at BTOracing.com

Reactions: thepaleobiker
1 - 20 of 27 Posts