StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed one of my fork seals is leaking, it must have just started because ts the first oil on the ground from it. Couple weeks ago I did about 100mi on dirt roads which probably caused it. I want to do a 800mi ride over the weekend, is it safe?

BTW, it's not just a small weeping amount...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get some Seal Mates and clean out the area around your seal. You probably have dirt under the lip of the seal that is stopping it from sealing. 35mm film negatives will work also providing you know what to do with it.

·
Administrator
13,748 Posts
Just to avoid confusion you just need one seal mate.

Basically it is a tool for cleaning the seal area. I have used it quite successfully on both my DL650's. There are people that will get a bit of 35-mm negative film and use it to clean the area.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can ride it but it will probably not handle well in the corners. My BMW F800ST with a leaking seal got this weavy, up and down motion when leaned over and I ended up riding it like a jockey on a horse: semi crouched in the turns with my butt off the seat to let the bike move under me.

Also beware of oil soaked brake pads. Tie a bandanna around the fork tube down low to soak up the oil before it gets to the brakes.

Bottom line: you can do it, and I would to ride it home, but I wouldn't start out from home like that.

...............shu

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up on a shorter ride and just keeping the forks clean. I going to pick up a Seal Mate this week and give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts