StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 4 hours today rebuilding my forks with new seals and the such. I put in 10 w oil instead of the 8 w oil it came with. I am amazed at how bad the suspension really was. I just took it out for a test ride and the front feels like a whole new bike. The steering feels solid now, and it does not dip when applying the front brakes in fast stops. I should have done this long ago. I was forced to do it at this time because it was leaking badly on the left fork.

If any of you want to see a major improvement in fork response, try some 10w in the stock front and I think you'll like what you feel.

I guess I got to keep it now...

Clem

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Fork oil does deteriorate over time and fresh oil makes a difference.

There can be quite a variation of different brands of fork oil between the label weights and the actual ISO viscosity measured in centistokes. There are a couple of charts on web sites that show the actual ISO viscosity vs. the claimed SAE oil weight.

ISO = International Standards Organization
SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am running the stock springs and I can't believe the difference with the fluid change. The front is much more stiff than it was before the rebuild and fluid change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts