StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pickup a DL650 with 7k miles recently. I been riding a FJR1300 and sv650 track bike. Both are gone and due to health issues a light bike is here.
The front end was setup with Ricor Intiminators and for 165 LB rider.

i am 240 so obviously the front end was all over the place , maybe i need to get used the front. i also got a Super brace from previous owner. while going through my garage i find Race tech 1.0 springs and some spacers.
i did the lazy spring swap as it took only a few minutes. the spring was not of same length as it was from a Sv650. but the spacer that i had combined with the stock spacer fit perfectly. i set the preload to 1 and took for a ride.
the bike feels nice , plush when i hit a big pothole and recovers nice . I came home and put the superbrace. yet to try it as i took the pegs to put my lowering kit which the previous owner gave 2 of and then it snowed.

will get out this weekend for a short ride.

questions ?
The spring is there a potential for some major issue down the road? I pot a zip tie and seems the suspension travel is not effected ..[Edited and added] Saw the racetech spring thread a few threads below and seems the springs are indeed shorter .
The stock tires have a flat spot but after the fork spring change is nice to ride and do not have the "i am going wash out" feeling. but should i change with age?
why is the brakes so bad? EBC HH. maybe plus i have braided lines new in the box from the previous owner so might try it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hard to follow your post - you put SV650 springs in your DL650 forks, correct?

You're concerned you'll loose travel because the springs will fully compress earlier than the longer DL springs?

Why don't you contact Race Tech?

Yes, change your tires when they wear out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The main concern I would watch for with the 1.0 springs, is whether the forks will rebound too quickly. You may need to switch to thicker fork fluid to work with the stiffer springs. But keep in mind, that the DL650 fork has a very basic rebound control system, so you don't want to be over critical.

The stock DL650 brakes are two-piston calipers which just aren't strong brakes. But try this- Squirt some lube on the front brake lever's pivot point and also where the front brake lever contacts the master cylinder piston (up inside the master cylinder). If those two points become dry, it makes the situation a lot worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts