StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to raise the level of the oil in the fork tubes to firm up the ride a little. Can I loosen the top clamp and just screw off the cap to add oil? Of course I know to take all the weigh off the front end and carefully control the cap and spring.... Just need to know if this cap screws off.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Yes you are correct

The thing is not all oil weights are the same, different brands are different even though they may claim to be 10w.

You just need to know this for when you do a full oil change if you want it to be the same.

I use ATF it seems more stable and lasts longer.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just screw off the fork cap. you don't need to loosen the top clamps. be prepared to wrestle with the fork springs, eat your wheaties.. You adjust the fork oil level with the springs out and the forks compressed completely. the level is usually something like 6 to 7 inches from the top of the tube.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
In my case, I found that it did help me to slack off the top camps of the triple tree / yokes. Some of the bikes have their fork tubes raised above the yokes, thus no clamp pressure applied to the end cap threads. Bottom line, if you find that the caps require excessive force to loosen, try slacking off the upper clamps and see whether it does help you getting the for end caps loose. And do remember to retighten the clamps, once the fork end caps are secured back on again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello- also support the weight from the front so that forks are at full extension.
Personally, I used ATF since its roughly 10w oil. YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. ATF it is. I know air compresses expotentionaly and acts as a 'back up' spring with the suspension. So if I raise the level a couple of inches, the suspension will become firmer quicker. I did not know to measure with the springs out so thanks for that!

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Just screw off the fork cap. you don't need to loosen the top clamps. be prepared to wrestle with the fork springs, eat your wheaties.. You adjust the fork oil level with the springs out and the forks compressed completely. the level is usually something like 6 to 7 inches from the top of the tube.
AARRRGGG. NOOO. Please, loosen the top clamp first. Much easier, much less chance of damaging the fine, aluminum threads on the fork cap.

Also, back the preload adjuster all the way off, that way the spring is compressed less.
Use a 6 point socket and keep some downward pressure on the head of the ratchet as you loosen the cap. That prevents the spring pressure from damaging that last engaged thread.

·
Registered
650 Posts
unless you are almost bottoming out, you may not need 2 inches more oil. 1 inch will make a large difference. we used to adjust dirt bike oil level 1/4 or 1/2 inch at a time. my fork tubes do protrude about 1/8" above the triple clamp. that may make a difference on loosening/tightening the fork caps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts