StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rediscivered this recently. Thought it would be of intrest.It is a good overview covering most all fork oils. Fork oil weights. Somewhere along the way I found a reference to Dextron 3 being 35-40 centi and Dextron 6 as 30 centi. Sorry I did not note the source of that.Cheers Doug

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rediscivered this recently. Thought it would be of intrest.It is a good overview covering most all fork oils. Fork oil weights. Somewhere along the way I found a reference to Dextron 3 being 35-40 centi and Dextron 6 as 30 centi. Sorry I did not note the source of that.Cheers Doug
I've used ATF as fork oil for years... I believe dexron is about 15wt and ford type C is about 11wt. I used dexron.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I've never

I've never felt the urge to prove myself smarter than the engineers that designed the parts. If they specify fork oil, I use fork oil. Not to mention that you can fine-tune viscosity by mixing different weights until the suspension acts the way you want it to. Considering I change the fork oil every couple of years, the extra cost is negligible.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've never felt the urge to prove myself smarter than the engineers that designed the parts. If they specify fork oil, I use fork oil. Not to mention that you can fine-tune viscosity by mixing different weights until the suspension acts the way you want it to. Considering I change the fork oil every couple of years, the extra cost is negligible.
ATF is something like $3 per quart whereas fork oil in my area of the world is somewhere around $15 per quart. I'd rather take the $24 saved and buy 700 or 800 miles worth of gas for my motorcycle

In traditional 50 year old technology damper rod forks ATF is more than adequate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
ATF has been riding in my ancient damper rod fork legs for over 50k miles without any issues. I didn't notice any difference after the rebuild aside from the fact that they weren't leaking anymore. Maybe it matters on the track?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts