Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fork on 06 Wee is leaking and has been for several months. How extensive is the job to replace the seals and oil? Also, I heard auto trans fluid can be used for fluid(?) Has anyone used this? Also, can I wait until off-season to replace seals/fluid without damaging anything? The other side seems okay. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My fork on 06 Wee is leaking and has been for several months. How extensive is the job to replace the seals and oil? Also, I heard auto trans fluid can be used for fluid(?) Has anyone used this? Also, can I wait until off-season to replace seals/fluid without damaging anything? The other side seems okay. Thanks.
It's not a hard job to fix it right. There are threads here about what needs to be done. As to oil, any oil will work, but you really ought to use fork oil. :yesnod:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's not a hard job to fix it right. There are threads here about what needs to be done. As to oil, any oil will work, but you really ought to use fork oil. :yesnod:
I had wifey pick up 2 qts of proper fork oil (Spectro 15 wt fork oil; for my riding weight) from my Dealer.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Jeff, ATF will work. The newer low viscosity ATFs like Dexron-VI will give slightly less damping. 10 wt fork oil is standard.

While you have the fork apart, take a look at the two bushings in each fork leg. If they're worn down to the brass backing, renew them as well. Easy job, especially if you have access to an impact wrench for spinning off the bolt that holds the damper rod.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also, I heard auto trans fluid can be used for fluid(?) Has anyone used this?
After much research, and considering the viscosity I wanted for my choice of springs and Racetech valve emulator settings, I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Cheap, find it anywhere, and has viscosity stability better than all but the best fork oils. Works great! :thumbup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have been using atf for about 40 years with no problems. Doesn't work real good in a dirt bike with a lot of heavy use because it foams but for street use and light off road use it is fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's nothing wrong with ATF for most street going bikes that don't see track or offroad use, but for my money I'll spend the extra $8. You only have to change it once every few years anyways! There are some things that make sense to cheap out on, but fork oil I will never understand.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
There's nothing wrong with ATF for most street going bikes that don't see track or offroad use, but for my money I'll spend the extra $8. You only have to change it once every few years anyways! There are some things that make sense to cheap out on, but fork oil I will never understand.
Where ATF is a close match to the fork oil needed it's a great choice. And for the stock DL shocks, it is.
It's viscosity is way more stable with temperature, it doesn't break down nearly as fast - and if you buy Dextron-III from any manufacturer it's viscosity is within a few % of everyone elses.

With 'real' fork oils 10W from one manufacturer can be vastly different to the viscosity from another.

Oh. yeah, it's a lot cheaper and easier to buy.

Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where ATF is a close match to the fork oil needed it's a great choice. And for the stock DL shocks, it is.
It's viscosity is way more stable with temperature, it doesn't break down nearly as fast - and if you buy Dextron-III from any manufacturer it's viscosity is within a few % of everyone elses.

With 'real' fork oils 10W from one manufacturer can be vastly different to the viscosity from another.

Oh. yeah, it's a lot cheaper and easier to buy.

Pete
"easier to buy" Right! Just ask the auto parts guy for fork oil. He looks like a cow looking at a new gate.

Anyone recommend where to buy fork seals?

·
Registered
362 Posts
"easier to buy" Right! Just ask the auto parts guy for fork oil. He looks like a cow looking at a new gate.

Anyone recommend where to buy fork seals?
I got my fork seals from Motosport.com. You have a choice of All Balls or OEM. I ordered both and just did receive my order so I haven't had time to evaluate which one I will use. I also got new fork bushings. I also use synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got my fork seals from Motosport.com. You have a choice of All Balls or OEM. I ordered both and just did receive my order so I haven't had time to evaluate which one I will use. I also got new fork bushings. I also use synthetic ATF.
The last set of All Balls fork seals that I saw were VERY similar to Leak Proof brand seals. AKA no metal spring, and "Leak Prone." I would fit either OEM or Parts Unlimited seals with a true metal spring. I've installed probably 300 sets of Parts Unlimited seals and have yet to have one come back due to a premature leak. OEM is always your best bet, but most people don't want to pay the OEM premium.

Can you post a picture of the All Balls seals that you ordered? I'm interested to see if they have changed their seal design.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The last set of All Balls fork seals that I saw were VERY similar to Leak Proof brand seals. AKA no metal spring, and "Leak Prone." I would fit either OEM or Parts Unlimited seals with a true metal spring. I've installed probably 300 sets of Parts Unlimited seals and have yet to have one come back due to a premature leak. OEM is always your best bet, but most people don't want to pay the OEM premium.

Can you post a picture of the All Balls seals that you ordered? I'm interested to see if they have changed their seal design.
I'm leaving for vacation, but as soon as I get back I'll be changing the seals and will post some pictures. Thanks for the heads up on the All Balls. FYI - my OEM seals are not leaking but I'm going in there to replace the bushings and that dust cover is all weather checked so I thought I'd just replace that and the seals too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For OEM parts I've used Xtreme Powersports lately, they have the same prices as cheap cycle parts, but they ship USPS Priority for "free". So, its a slightly better deal on smaller orders.

I recently ordered the oil seals and the dust seals for the DL1000. I going to put new springs in and figured it was a good time to do new fork seals. My used bike was leaking a good bit, I cleaned them with good results. About 90% of the leaking stopped but the right leg is a bit too wet still.

I've used both ATF and fork oil, either works if you don't need a heavier oil. You can also use hydraulic oils, Hyguard etc. I went with PJ 10 wt this time since I was ordering parts anyway.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The last set of All Balls fork seals that I saw were VERY similar to Leak Proof brand seals. AKA no metal spring, and "Leak Prone."

I bought a set of All Balls seals (Ebay) that included oil and dust seals because I needed to replace the dust seals and the kit cost about the same a one OEM dust seal. I didn't replace the oil seals, but the dust seals were fine, if a bit shorter than OEM. The oil seals do have metal springs in them, 2 springs in each seal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts