StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I need to have my dust shield on my right fork changed. I plan on keeping the same springs (do some dual sport so I want to limit the kick back from stiffer springs) but putting some thicker oil in.
From reading around here, I believe the basic oil is 5 w. I'm planning on asking for 7.5 w.

Drpping off the bike next Tue, so I want to make sure that is ok by the Masters of Stromtrooper :hurray:.

I'm 185 # w/ all my gear on and ride 80% street 20% gravel rocky terrain.
I have the settings for the front suspension the way they came from the factory.

Thanks.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Ok. So I need to have my dust shield on my right fork changed. I plan on keeping the same springs (do some dual sport so I want to limit the kick back from stiffer springs) but putting some thicker oil in.
From reading around here, I believe the basic oil is 5 w. I'm planning on asking for 7.5 w.

Drpping off the bike next Tue, so I want to make sure that is ok by the Masters of Stromtrooper :hurray:.

I'm 185 # w/ all my gear on and ride 80% street 20% gravel rocky terrain.
I have the settings for the front suspension the way they came from the factory.

Thanks.
It is your fork seal that is leaking. It is weeping up through the dust seal. The fork seal is located underneath the protective dust seal. If you are replacing one fork seal, you might as well replace the other on the opposite fork as well. Depending upon how many miles are on the bike, you may also want to consider replacing the glide and slide metals in each fork tube too.

I am of the same weight as you are. I currently have .90 Sonic Springs and 12 weight oil, ( a 50/50 mix of 15w and 10w oil), and Superbrace forkbrace installed.

Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, there are a couple of "How To" articles in the Maintenance section that will let you familiarize yourself with what parts are what and how they go together.

Fork Seal Replacement: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=36808

Fork Suspension Upgrade: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=22896

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Change them both and put new springs in it while your at it. Extra cost for adding springs should just be the spring cost themselves. It will be SO much better!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dual sport

Change them both and put new springs in it while your at it. Extra cost for adding springs should just be the spring cost themselves. It will be SO much better!
On your avatar looks like you do some off roading. I guess I will go w/ the sonic springs / 10 w oil / fork seals. Already have the fork brace installed. I also have emulators (or something like it) that I bought on special here last year. Supposed to get the spacers cut down to fit them. Will have to look in my garage to see the name for sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
try and run a buisiness card under the seal along the fork tube first you may just have some grit in there. Sometimes that fixes the leak and you can do your fork maint when it's convenient.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A piece of photographic film works well for that trick. Card stock would be difficult to get in there and can tear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soon....

So , I have delayed taking the bike to the shop.
Finally have the parts to fix the leak and change the other side also.
Bought 0.85 Sonic Springs (on the way) and have Ricor Intimidators that I bought last year to put in.

Now, the Ricor Intimidators say to use 5w oil only.If the factory puts in 7.5w, wont that make my front end too light ?

Has anyone put 10w oil in w/ their Intimidators?

I'm now planning on doing this myself (Thanks Black Lab) . Looked at various places around Austin, Tx and they want $250-500 to do the work. It doesnt look that difficult on the instructions placed by Black Lab.

Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
I installed Ricor intiminators last year. Used 5w fork oil as recommended.The forks now work much better than stock even without heavier springs. A smoother ride and less front end dive when braking.
Stuart

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Bought 0.85 Sonic Springs (on the way) and have Ricor Intimidators that I bought last year to put in.

Now, the Ricor Intimidators say to use 5w oil only.If the factory puts in 7.5w, wont that make my front end too light ?

I'm now planning on doing this myself (Thanks Black Lab) . Looked at various places around Austin, Tx and they want $250-500 to do the work. It doesnt look that difficult on the instructions placed by Black Lab.

Thanks
Thank you.

Set time aside where you don't feel rushed. Take your time and study each step and each part as you go through it. When I wrote those tutorials, (took the photos), it was the very first time I was going through the process myself. I take the photographs for me, so I can refer to them if I get into trouble. But they are also to share with others in hopes that they will inspire others to take a leap of faith too.

You will probably spill fork oil....... You may loose a washer or two in your fork oil drain pan....... You may wish you had more rags or rubber gloves then what you started with........

But, it's all okay. Once you get things back together, you kind of feel like a King; ready to conquer another area on the bike.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Barry

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much oil ?

I installed Ricor intiminators last year. Used 5w fork oil as recommended.The forks now work much better than stock even without heavier springs. A smoother ride and less front end dive when braking.
Stuart
How many quarts do I need to buy ?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Set fork oil level to 140mm. This is measured with the fork out of the bike, fully collapsed, intiminators in. Higher levels will create a harshness as the springs compress.

Be prepared for some adjustments to the intiminators as they were designed for the stock progressive spring, and do not play well with heavier straight rate springs. There is too much compression dampening, and not enough rebound (the 5 wt oil is too light).

Shim swaps are a good place to start. I couldn't dial out enough compression in my set up with .9 sonics. I'm going to move to gold valves next so I can run a higher wt. oil for more rebound.

Lots of topics about this on this site and also ADVrider.com. Do a google search and have be prepared for some tweaking after your initial install.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
524 ml or 17.7 oz per leg is the stock fork oil amount. Do use the air space measurement as jmo3373 has posted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Keep the original springs then ?

Set fork oil level to 140mm. This is measured with the fork out of the bike, fully collapsed, intiminators in. Higher levels will create a harshness as the springs compress.

Be prepared for some adjustments to the intiminators as they were designed for the stock progressive spring, and do not play well with heavier straight rate springs. There is too much compression dampening, and not enough rebound (the 5 wt oil is too light).

Shim swaps are a good place to start. I couldn't dial out enough compression in my set up with .9 sonics. I'm going to move to gold valves next so I can run a higher wt. oil for more rebound.

Lots of topics about this on this site and also ADVrider.com. Do a google search and have be prepared for some tweaking after your initial install.
Thanks. So, if I'm putting Intiminators in I should send the Sonics (.85) back, keep the originals ?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

Ricor Intiminators add to the damping. It is necessary to use the 5wt fork oil to reduce the factory damping. Use stock springs with Intiminators. I tried both Intiminators and .9 springs, and the aftermarket springs will soon be offered for sale*. The combination makes the ride really harsh, I'm 200# + everything, and have the sag set at 40 mm.

*Offers accepted. I'll get those springs out any day now...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks. So, if I'm putting Intiminators in I should send the Sonics (.85) back, keep the originals ?
Nope, set it all up and see if you like it. I'd send back the intiminators prior to the Sonics. Talk to Rich, he will help you set it all up.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
A piece of photographic film works well for that trick. Card stock would be difficult to get in there and can tear.

Correct. I have done this a dozen times to fix the leaks on various bikes. I would bet 90% of the replaced seals are just fine.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Set fork oil level to 140mm. This is measured with the fork out of the bike, fully collapsed, intiminators in.
That's a 140mm, (air space) with the forks collapsed AND the springs removed from the fork tube.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts