1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to the wee..
Average mechanical skills and tools.

Is the fork oil hard to change?
Anyone seen a U-tube how to video on changing fork oil?
Is the V and Wee the same process...
Which fork oil to replace it with?
Any help or direction will be apreciated.
Hap

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I'm very new to the wee..
Average mechanical skills and tools.

Is the fork oil hard to change?
Anyone seen a U-tube how to video on changing fork oil?
Is the V and Wee the same process...
Which fork oil to replace it with?
Any help or direction will be apreciated.
Hap
It's not difficult, but since the fork tubes need to come off it can a bit intimidating if you haven't done that before. One of those jobs that looks harder than it really is.

Here's a link that may help, just ignore the spring-specific stuff if you're not changing them.

SonicSprings.com

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
If you can, just for safety, after you prop up the bike with the front wheel off the floor, throw a rope over a garage ceiling joist or something sturdy above and tie off the handle bars.

Take the wheel off, then one fork, then the fender.

Remove one fork at a time. Replace it, then remove the other. I carefully loosen and remove the fork cap, remove spacer, remove spring with the fork in place, then remove the fork. At least loosen the cap in place.

If the fork oil is dirty, flush with any cheap light viscosity hydraulic oil or maybe even solvent first then hydraulic oil, drain, fill as needed with real fork oil.

When refilling, pump the fork several times to get any air out. Fully compress the fork and fill to 140mm from the top without the spring in place and the fork held vertical.

What's original?...10 wt fork oil? Be aware that different brands of fork oils with the same "weight" on the label may have slightly different actual viscosity of the oil...if you like the one you use, stick with it next time.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
First 2 fluid changes I flushed with paint thinner. Lots of gunk came with the 1st flush. Not to bad on the 2nd. Then a 3rd using a few oz. fork oil to remove any paint thinner.
The last 2 times it was changed its looked much cleaner, so I just removed the springs and pumped them to help loosen any debris. Then hang them over a catch pan.
They also feel more responsive with fresh oil. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
First 2 fluid changes I flushed with paint thinner. Lots of gunk came with the 1st flush. Not to bad on the 2nd. Then a 3rd using a few oz. fork oil to remove any paint thinner.
The last 2 times it was changed its looked much cleaner, so I just removed the springs and pumped them to help loosen any debris. Then hang them over a catch pan.
They also feel more responsive with fresh oil. :thumbup:
The oil that comes out on the first change is always nasty, all the wear metals from the bushings wearing in. After that, not so bad as you noticed.

Fork oil tends to be one of those neglected things, but if you do it when you change a front tire it's very little extra work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts