StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t usually do this but someone on here requested that I write up the install for an inexpensive set of LED driving lights. I wanted more visibility during the day as I’m happy with the LED headlights that I have for night time trooping.
I wired them directly to the battery using the wiring harness. I wasn’t a fan of the inexpensive lighted switch it came with so I purchased a waterproof toggle switch. I did end up turning the lenses 90° so that they would cast light horizontally instead of vertically. While I had them apart I used roofing caulk to waterproof them more.
They were mounted to the reflector mounts on the forks. I used washers and loctite on the bolt in order to be able to
make them more adjustable.

Overall I’m very happy with them so far. We’ll see how they hold up.

Nilight - NI -WA 06 LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit - 2 Leads 12V On Off Switch Power Relay Blade Fuse for Off Road Lights LED Work Light, 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZPX32...abc_SAMN3NS8B3NCE7WD96AJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Baomain Toggle Switch SPST ON-Off Type 2 Pin 12V 10A with Waterproof Cover for Auto Car Amazon.com: Baomain Toggle Switch SPST ON-Off Type 2 Pin 12V 10A with Waterproof Cover for Auto Car : Automotive
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Chair Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Plant Road surface Vegetation Tree Asphalt
U

Plant Plant community Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well done. Thanks for posting. I have a pair similar to those but I've never gotten around to mounting them. Yours look great, exactly what I had in mind. Best, DD

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
981 Posts
Yeah, a fair amount of the imported stuff kinda works like a kit. With a little touch up and fiddling you can get a good outcome at a killer price.
I just finished updating my turn signals all the way around with cheapo import led bulbs. They are very extremely bright, which I can't say for the factory incandescents.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, a fair amount of the imported stuff kinda works like a kit. With a little touch up and fiddling you can get a good outcome at a killer price.
I just finished updating my turn signals all the way around with cheapo import led bulbs. They are very extremely bright, which I can't say for the factory incandescents.
Would you mind sharing the link to these?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like the yellow and I have a similar waterproof toggle in the same position. I also wired straight to the battery so I can use just the LED to set up camp in the dark if needed. I have been impressed with the Blazer 2" lights sold at Northern Tool. Sold individually for about $25 and packaged with a 9 volt battery to test the lights. Very nice.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
981 Posts
The stock bulb for rear tail lights is the BAU15S Amber. Standardization in automotive and mc bulbs is awful.

BA = Bayonet
U = mounting lugs 150* apart
15 = diameter in mm
S = single contact base

It has two retention pins on the same level and situated at the 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.
I damaged the front ones and I don't recall if they use the same bulb.

What I bought was 4 sockets and led bulbs in 1156, which does not have the 150* offset. This was an error on my part. For the front it didn't matter at all since the factory bulbs and sockets and housings were smashola.

For the rears I replaced the socket. If I had picked the correct base, it would have been plug and play. This link shows (and sells) either one:

You will probably need to replace the stock flasher under with seat with one that is designed to work with LED's like so:

hope that helps

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Nice job, and very effective. I mounted some similar white LED Amazon lights on my Vstrom using clamps on the accessory bar. Santa brought some amber lamps to go on my other bike with clamps for that engine guard, I went with amber this time, it seems to stand out a lot more in traffic.

Wheel Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Tread

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
@Dutch73 -- Have you had a chance to check the beam pattern against a brick wall or garage or anything? I'm wondering if they truly have the cutoff pictured in the listing:

Rectangle Amber Font Astronomical object Gas

That image contradicts another in the listing, which suggests lack of cutoff:

Electronic instrument Rectangle Visual effect lighting Font Gadget

My experience is that cheap lights rarely have a proper cutoff, but I keep my eyes open for them so they're on my radar when it's time to replace my current cheapo set.

Right now, I get around the lack of cutoff by using a dimmer so I don't blind oncoming drivers at night. With a proper cutoff, I could potentially do away with the dimmer.

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
790 Posts
I like how that looks, but what are the chances that the threaded hole on the fork tube will break out if you tip over, either at a standstill or in motion? All that stuff looks like it’s mounted pretty rigid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job, and very effective. I mounted some similar white LED Amazon lights on my Vstrom using clamps on the accessory bar. Santa brought some amber lamps to go on my other bike with clamps for that engine guard, I went with amber this time, it seems to stand out a lot more in traffic.

View attachment 296611
I like how that looks, but what are the chances that the threaded hole on the fork tube will break out if you tip over, either at a standstill or in motion? All that stuff looks like it’s mounted pretty rigid.
Its fairly solid, though a tip over may mess things up. I'll report back if I loose it in the parking lot or elsewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Dutch73 -- Have you had a chance to check the beam pattern against a brick wall or garage or anything? I'm wondering if they truly have the cutoff pictured in the listing:

View attachment 296619

That image contradicts another in the listing, which suggests lack of cutoff:

View attachment 296620

My experience is that cheap lights rarely have a proper cutoff, but I keep my eyes open for them so they're on my radar when it's time to replace my current cheapo set.

Right now, I get around the lack of cutoff by using a dimmer so I don't blind oncoming drivers at night. With a proper cutoff, I could potentially do away with the dimmer.
I haven’t had a chance to check the beam pattern yet. But I will at some point. I’m pretty sure that there’s not a definitive cut off. I have these for daytime riding and they are affective for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stock bulb for rear tail lights is the BAU15S Amber. Standardization in automotive and mc bulbs is awful.

BA = Bayonet
U = mounting lugs 150* apart
15 = diameter in mm
S = single contact base

It has two retention pins on the same level and situated at the 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.
I damaged the front ones and I don't recall if they use the same bulb.

What I bought was 4 sockets and led bulbs in 1156, which does not have the 150* offset. This was an error on my part. For the front it didn't matter at all since the factory bulbs and sockets and housings were smashola.

For the rears I replaced the socket. If I had picked the correct base, it would have been plug and play. This link shows (and sells) either one:

You will probably need to replace the stock flasher under with seat with one that is designed to work with LED's like so:

hope that helps
It does, thank you.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I had to aim my white lights down a bit or they would blind oncoming traffic, they are very effective for making the bike more noticeable in traffic

·
Registered
548 Posts
How well does the yellow work at night? Judging from your pics they sure are more noticeable than white in daylight..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts