StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Vstrom a couple weeks ago and now need to do fork maintenance. My bike doesn’t have a center stand nor do I want to buy one right now (-$). I’ve checked around here and other forums but haven’t found many results to my issue. The one thing I’ve seen that might work for me is just laying the bike on it’s side, with a thick blanket or something padded, and taking the forks off that way without the need for a stand and still being safe enough that it doesn’t fall over while I’m doing my maintenance.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
TL;DR- I don’t have a center stand and need to get my forks off.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Buy a $70 wheel chock from Harbor Freight and two ratchet straps. Back the bike into the chock then use the two rachet straps from the frame to the eyebolts on the chock to stabilize the bike then use the scissors jack out of your car under the skid plate to lift the front.

Then you can also use the wheel chock the traditional way (front wheel in) in the same way to get the rear of the bike off the ground for when you need to remove the rear wheel. It also great for storing the bike as it holds it upright and then it takes up less room vs leaning on the side stand.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Do you have engine guards and a couple scraps of 2x4? Cut a small V notch in ends and stand them under the guards. Big bonus for screwing bridges across those two verticals. Make it very stable. Break free many bolts before you get the bike up on any dubious support - front fender, axle, brake calipers, upper triple clamps, top caps, lower triple clamps. Might need some help getting it on there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have stated I have no skid plate either but have looked into the idea of a scissor jack and 2x4 just not too sure about the exhaust being there

·
Registered
171 Posts
Where do you live? Maybe someone had a front But Bull stand you can use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I tried it on and tree and it’s enough to get the front wheel off the ground. Thank you guys for the out of the box thinking

·
Registered
2004 DL1000
126 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you let it down using ratchet straps? Release them simultaneously and let it just drop?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
171 Posts
In the past, I have used a metal rod through the swing arm pivot point, supported by a jack stand on either side. Then weigh down the rear end, or hoist the front..
But I dont recall if the hole in the pivot point on the Strom is large enough to use this solution..

Reactions: Thetrooper61

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you let it down using ratchet straps? Release them simultaneously and let it just drop?:confused:
So I really just need to get the front wheel off the ground in order to remove the forks. Obviously the higher you can get it (within reason) the easier it’ll be to get the forks out but I’m thinking they only really need to slide down about 6 inches to be free of the steering column. When I went and tested the “lift” on my tree, with the ratchets, I barely had to crank the strap to get the wheel free from the ground. To get it down, I used the suspension (or lack there of) of the bike to help cushion the 3 inches it needed to come down. It came down no issue and I just rolled it back into the garage. Now I’m not gonna drop the bike when I don’t have any wheel or forks on there so my plan is to let it hang til I’m done with the forks. Fingers crossed nothing else pops up as an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I really just need to get the front wheel off the ground in order to remove the forks. Obviously the higher you can get it (within reason) the easier it’ll be to get the forks out but I’m thinking they only really need to slide down about 6 inches to be free of the steering column. When I went and tested the “lift” on my tree, with the ratchets, I barely had to crank the strap to get the wheel free from the ground. To get it down, I used the suspension (or lack there of) of the bike to help cushion the 3 inches it needed to come down. It came down no issue and I just rolled it back into the garage. Now I’m not gonna drop the bike when I don’t have any wheel or forks on there so my plan is to let it hang til I’m done with the forks. Fingers crossed nothing else pops up as an issue.
I’m going to get some pictures for you guys posted up later on so y’all can get an idea of what I mean.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, but if you can’t afford that, then you probably really can’t afford to maintain the bike properly.
That's a little harsh.

@Thetrooper61: this is well trodden territory. The way I've done it in the past is to make a platform out of a 2' x 4' piece of 3/4" plywood. Bolt a 4x4 to one side of it, and install eyebolts through each end of the 4x4. Nail or staple a scrap of a tire or something else soft-ish to the top center inside edge of the 4x4.

Now roll the rear of the bike up to the 4x4 (the rubber scrap protects your tire) and set it on the side stand. Use ratcheting straps to lever it upright and snug it enough to keep it there. Plop a couple of concrete blocks on the platform to weight it down, on on each side. Now raise the front of the bike with a scissor jack, being careful to bear upon the jacking surface on the bottom of the engine, not the oil plug (I use a wood block to make sure it doesn't bear on the exhaust pipe).

Sometimes you use what you have. Sorry that I don't have pics handy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts