StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You take the forks off. If you have a fork brace, cut the bottoms off at the pleat shown to let the wide part rest against the brace. Otherwise, the bottom goes around the fork leg. Top and bottom (if not cut) can be held in place by zip ties but they often are not needed. I had a brace allowing both forks to come off together. If being removed separately, be careful of the fender bolts. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/81942-front-fender-warning.html

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If the spring is removed and the front jacked up, can the upper tube of the fork leg be slipped down far enough past the lower triple tree to get the gaiter over it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If the spring is removed and the front jacked up, can the upper tube of the fork leg be slipped down far enough past the lower triple tree to get the gaiter over it?
Not with the front wheel on in my experience. It would take a cross member and a pair of jacks. A center stand and a single jack won't do it. I have a table lift and open joists but still took off the front wheel. That done, I removed the front forks as a set with brace and fender in place.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
There is a neoprene version as well that uses velcro and wraps around the tubes. If you have a fork brace it needs to be lowered on the legs slightly to allow enough space to clamp the bottom of the covers on to the legs with gear clamps. There was a photo here where someone did just and I copied it. They need to be attached to the legs with a clamp where a brace has been installed or they tend to ride up on the tubes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have the neoprene ones and a fork brace.

I did what PeteW did and loosened the fork brace then put a strip of velcro at the front and back of the fork then tightened the fork brace back up in original position.
Then put the covers on they stick to the velcro and stay over the seals and haven't moved since putting them on. :thumbup:

I can post pics if you like will need to take some though.

Cheers Gotawee

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Gotawee,

I'd like to see some pictures please. I'm taking my forks off to change fluid and put in Intiminators and would like to put these on at the same time. I have a fork brace to add too.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
wrap around neoprene boots

That's what I have. No need to take the fork legs out. You can put them on and remove them any time:

NOJ Motorcycle Fork Guards Review - YouTube

Can't remember where I got them.
Good tip to clamp some Velcro under the fork clamp to hold them in placed since one of mine wants to ride up. I will try that, that should solve the problem.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I remembered I had a pair of the neoprene/velcro gaiters from my old bike and I just found them, still in good shape after 7+ years.

They did a great job on the other bike, never had any seal issues. I couldn't fit them on with the fork brace, but now I get the velcro under the brace idea and will try that.

I like that you can easily remove them and wash them, when you see the crud they catch, you'll be glad that stuff's not on your tubes.

Long live the fork seals!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pics of the Noj fork protectors

Velcro front and back of fork just pocking out the bottom of fork brace

With Noj on

As you can see they fit well.
I have been on road, dirt, mud and in rain etc and they haven't moved at all since installing.
They can be removed easily for washing just pull away from the velcro.

Hope this helps

Cheers Gotawee

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the neoprene fork covers from Touratech. A bit pricey, but they only took me about 5 min to install, and haven't failed me yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts