StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed fork gaiters to protect the tubes and seals. I'm not real happy as they are so wide they get scrunched by the fender guards and are long enough to accomodate a 13" travel motocrosser. Does anybody have a source for a better fitting product?

K

·
0 Posts
Didn't some of the old Brit bikes (and Jap bikes) have gaiters? Maybe you could source some for those bikes?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I put a set of those on my V. So far, so good. I picked them up when I was in CA recently and they had black ones.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far. Older bikes usually had narrower fork tubes and rubber gaiters that liked to crack. The different twist doesn't cover as far up as I'd like and doesn't seem to come in black. California isn't very specific but I'm glad somebody has found one that works. The hippohands site has a very functional item that is plain ugly. If anyone has done this with a good old black accordian gaiter that fits well and is a long lasting material like neoprene or silicone and can point me to where to get it, I'm still looking. Somebody wrote at some site about a $6 set that was a perfect fit but I can't find the post now.

D

·
0 Posts
Triumph sells them. I don't know if they would work for your bike.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
OK, Cali wasn't very specific but I was there for 3 days on business and I can't remember where I picked them up. Here is more info, for those that might be interested.

http://www.dirtskins.com/

http://www.dirtskins.com/item.asp?iid=74

The ShockCovers look like they might be adapted for those that want more protection and are concerned about increased stiction from the Fork Seal Skins.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That's a possibility. I'd prefer the bellows type though.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
90 Posts
greywolf said:
Somebody wrote at some site about a $6 set that was a perfect fit but I can't find the post now.
I think I saw the same post - only it was $4! Someone had used some BMW (car) uni joint covers, they posted pics and part numbers, looked like they would do the job nicely.

I thought I saved that info somewhere... will post if I can find it.

Trevor

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check after the Reno trip. I won't have enough time until then.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to Bajjer31 for making sure they fit. I visited my local NAPA dealer. $4.09 each so $8.18 plus sales tax in total. It will take 7-10 days since none of the regular suppliers have them in stock and they have to come from Monroe.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I'll be intersted in what you think and find, Greywolf. I went through 2 sets of forks seals on my R65 before I put a set of gaitors on it, which pretty much solved the problem.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I got mine installed yesterday. The hardest part was getting the axel to break loose. Once that happened, very easy install. Thanks for the info!!!

P.S. I got mine at Advance auto. They had them the next day. Price was $5.11 ea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts