StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search, didn't find anything..

Just got my Vee and came across this pic, and noticed on the lower forks it looks like the owner has flared fairings?

Anyone seen these? Used them? Do they do anything?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,410 Posts
Never seen that before, must say IMHO that it looks pretty dorky.

·
Registered
824 Posts
lower fairings (lowers) are used on a lot of different bikes to help eliminate wind buffetting. They keep the wind from coming up under the outside of the tank which is a major source of the problem. More so than from a windshield on many bikes.
Memphis Shades has them for a variety of bikes.
As low as the ones in the pic are, I doubt they do much good, except to help with foot buffetting.
There is a guy here on the forum who made some that attach to engine guards and probably work pretty well. I think there is a vendor here that sells them.
Stay tuned, someone will show both.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just got my Vee and came across this pic, and noticed on the lower forks it looks like the owner has flared fairings?

Yeah, a few years ago I was kinda' thinking I might put a set on my GS.
I'll search my favorites directory and see if I can find (and post) the link.

The advertisement said that the fork spoilers solve that "troublesome high speed wandering" that my bike never had in the first place. :skep:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm still trying to work out if "foot buffeting" is actually a thing or just a combination of random words like "honest senator".

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
One of the Vendors here on the forum makes those.........Pat Walsh or Van Dieson..??? I think the latter.......the plastics guy.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm still trying to work out if "foot buffeting" is actually a thing or just a combination of random words like "honest senator".
I was trying to help the guy who's bike we saw have a good reason for putting them there. Maybe he just couldn't get the brackets to mount them where they would work.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was trying to help the guy who's bike we saw have a good reason for putting them there. Maybe he just couldn't get the brackets to mount them where they would work.
Fair enough, but it still strikes me as an odd thing to be concerned with. I actually wonder if many of the people who complain about buffeting in general have unrealistic expectations of what being in the open air travelling at speed should actually feel like. We're talking about riding a motorcycle, not sitting in a trans-continental train.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
:green_lol:

"Foot buffeting" that's exactly what I thought when I looked at the photo.

I think we need a special thread. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
:green_lol:

"Foot buffeting" that's exactly what I thought when I looked at the photo.

I think we need a special thread. :biggrinjester:
I have met a guy who has to worry about that kind of thing ... kind of. He has a prosthetic right leg from above the knee and uses an 'ocky strap' to stop it from coming off the right foot peg while he rides. He also rides a Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One of the Vendors here on the forum makes those.........Pat Walsh or Van Dieson..??? I think the latter.......the plastics guy.
You must be thinking of Vin Diesel....

Guy's name is Dan Vesel. I think he still sells them, but he keeps a very low profile.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
No worse than some of the other "wind deflectors" I've seen fitted to Stroms :green_lol:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Did a quick search, didn't find anything..
Here's the website for the V-Strom fork mounted wind deflectors...
But, It has since become a dead link.

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/

This was the exact page: http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/

This was the price from the original add: Fork-mount Wind Deflectors ('04-'11) $85.00

See this old post for a better lead...
My V-Strom Accessories - Dan Vesel

Not sure if they were a Dan Vesel item, but you can ask here: My V-Strom Accessories - Dan Vesel

Sorry I couldn't get ya' a picture.
Good luck with your search.
-Ej-

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yup

Fair enough, but it still strikes me as an odd thing to be concerned with. I actually wonder if many of the people who complain about buffeting in general have unrealistic expectations of what being in the open air travelling at speed should actually feel like. We're talking about riding a motorcycle, not sitting in a trans-continental train.
My thoughts exactly. So long as my helmet doesn't buffet up and down (Madstadt fixed that) I'm good to go......it's a motorcycle after all.

The alternative.............. Ride in a car

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The alternative.............. Ride in a car
Heading off topic but, the DL1000 with all its shortcomings, malfunctions, engineering flaws, and pis-poor gas mileage, I must say is comfortable at speed.
Warm, quiet, and cozy as compare to other sub-liter bikes I've ridden. A great winter bike.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Oye, the Greek God Mercury had wings on his ankles.
This could do the same for your bike.
Fly like an Eagle...!
Several years ago I actually looked into these "magic fork wings".
The sales write-up stated that the V-Strom had a tendency to wander at highway speeds.
Installing the wings on the lower fork tubes was supposed to cure the wandering problem.

After some deep thought, I decided to not waste my money on such a foolish gimmick.
Instead I bought an electronic deer whistle. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts