StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an ELka on order from svracingparts.com. When it gets here I'm taking it to a suspension shop to have it installed (I'll review when that comes). Talked to the shop today and was asking about the front forks. I already have 0.9 springs up front and they said they could do a top notch job of fork emulators, teflon bushings, new seals and oil for $580.
I know there are some out there that have done it or maybe know someone that had it done. Is it worth it at that price????

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Blair about springs an emulators he had available, all parts $262 shipped. He said it can be done in a few hours with his detailed instructions.

I'm going to order a set in the comming weeks. I'm planning on making an order for DL and SV parts at the same time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
If you spend time on rough roads I would look up

Ricor Intimidators

Also assume you have fork brace and dropped the triple tree

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
intiminators...

i installed them on my dr650 along with better straight rate springs and they made a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Another vote for intiminators and I had professionally set up emulators in my last DL.

Plusses: Much less bake dive, sports bike quality braking.
Much better on the nasty stuff.
No need to drill holes, just change the oil.

Downsides: Ride on smoother surfaces is harsher.
Much harder on fork oil. You'll have to change it twice a year.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Much harder on fork oil. You'll have to change it twice a year.
not that i'm doubting you, have no reason to, just curious how they are harder on oil.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
not that i'm doubting you, have no reason to, just curious how they are harder on oil.
The damping circuits do a LOT more work with the Intiminators.

Normally you decrease brake dive with heavier springs, with the Intiminators the damper circuit (oil) is doing all the work instead.

I'm not complaining, I just pull the springs, pump the old oil out from the top, put the springs back in and refill to the mark on my calibrated satay stick. Five minutes top - so not a big deal, but if you are used to not doing any maintenance - it'll be a shock.

Pete

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The RaceTech cartridge emulators need some extra doctoring to give the best result. There are threads here with all the details.

The Ricor Intiminator damping valves also need some doctoring. AceRider's thread gives an excellent way to go.

I think the stock fork bushings are teflon with either graphite or moly impregnated into it. Anyway, they're gray. There is no need to renew those unless they show wear (mine were down to the brass backing). I couldn't find any aftermarket bushings that fit our bikes. And no need to renew the oil seal unless it is leaking or unless you're taken the forks apart to renew the bushings and you want to renew everything while you're in there. Changing a seal later is not a big job. The fork does not need to come all the way apart to get out the damper rod for modification. No need to renew the dust seal unless it shows cracking and loss of elasticity.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just had the Race Tech Emulators and 1.0kg/mm springs installed in my 29K mile, '04 DL650. I'm about 255lbs geared up.

The entirety of my riding experience includes a 1979 RD400 I restored and learned to ride on and my DL650. All I can say is WOW :thumbup: at the results of the new front end. Handling is so much more secure and controlled, it's like night and day. Seems to hold it's line thru curves much better and cross-winds seem to have less affect.

I'm saving my nickles to get the rear re-done soon

I had the work done by a local suspension guy with a very good reputation, On-Road Off-Road in Austin

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The damping circuits do a LOT more work with the Intiminators.

Normally you decrease brake dive with heavier springs, with the Intiminators the damper circuit (oil) is doing all the work instead.

I'm not complaining, I just pull the springs, pump the old oil out from the top, put the springs back in and refill to the mark on my calibrated satay stick. Five minutes top - so not a big deal, but if you are used to not doing any maintenance - it'll be a shock.

Pete
Pete, I also have the Intimators and when I put them in it was like night and day. Since the oil is likely to degrade gradually, how does oil deterioration show itself, what changes in the fork’s behavior and how do I know its time to replace (other than simply by schedule).

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
As a generalisation, and all else being equal:

1) intiminator controls brake dive (low velocity damping) better than Racetech emulator; (if you make hi-velocity damping similar)

2)intiminator (especially without by-pass bleed hole mod) deals with small irregularity on smoother road a fair bit worse than emulator; (small amplitude hi-velocity damping) Perhaps if someone can find some suitable softer spring for intiminator this might change - Emulator is quite good on the small amplitude square hits

3) Intiminator deals with bigger upsets better - right up the the limit of your suspension. Emulator is more like a 2 stage ramping of the hi-velocity damping curve.

-------------

I would change fork oil no longer than 10,000km or 6,000 mi or sooner if you a keen rider.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Pete, I also have the Intimators and when I put them in it was like night and day. Since the oil is likely to degrade gradually, how does oil deterioration show itself, what changes in the fork’s behavior and how do I know its time to replace (other than simply by schedule).
The front end starts 'hopping', lack of rebound damping basically.

It's not sudden, it won't suddenly spit you off the bike, but it is noticeable when the viscosity drops too far. Probably 20,000k's from slightly too much damping to not quite enough. We have some bloody annoying road works here from putting in a rail system, noticeable crossing the tracks and the ups and downs from the temporary approaches for example.

Given how good these things are and how easy it is to address, not a concern, and even at it's worst it's still vastly better than stock. But, if you want perfection, the oil will need changing now and then.

Pete

·
Registered
180 Posts
What's the recommended sag with intiminators? Have to pull out the spacers in my fork this weekend because they're too long, preload is already backed out all the way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts