StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a my new 2011 650 on April 19 and wondering about a fork brace and if it really will make that much difference. Looking for some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'll third that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
...is there one that is a breeze to put on? I've considered one too although I haven't done much prolonged high speed riding yet. Sorry, I know there are other threads that cover this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You don't HAVE to have it!!!!!!!!! put a couple thousand miles on your bike before you add the brace and then judge for yourself if it makes the diff. I am in the minority on the brace. I have one, got it at 7,500 miles and have about that many miles on it since (K9 Wee). For about the same money I found Progressive springs to make a far greater difference. Perhaps if your are going to ride aggresively off road it will be more valuable.

·
38,104 Posts
The harder you pressure the front wheel, the more you need it. It helps with gusty winds too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
...is there one that is a breeze to put on? I've considered one too although I haven't done much prolonged high speed riding yet. Sorry, I know there are other threads that cover this.
It cannot get much easier to put one on... It simply clamps on with some bolts. (Although it is recommended that you loosen the front wheel 1st and allow things to settle into their natural state.)

I find it odd that you mention "high speed riding". I dont see where straight-line high-speed riding would make much of a difference. I guess when traveling high-speed with a SIDE-WIND may be an example where a fork-brace makes a difference.

The fork-brace really shines when doing more technical stuff. (slow speed maneuvers over uneven ground, hitting a bump mid-turn ... etc)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Wind and technical stuff...Agreed.

I definitely found a substantial improvement with corner handling on our frost-heaved and bumpy roads and also with the stability at freeway speeds during windy times.

I was really surprised how it made my cornering that much nicer on some of the bumpy roads. On some of the regular roads I commute on, it was very easy to observe the difference.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thought it was a so so mod and delayed putting one on. Then I got a good deal on a used brace that came with a seat I purchased. The difference in the front end was very noticeable.

It's a worthwhile mod.

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
Allot of folks have them......think about it.:fineprint:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase one. I saw that there is guy ....Rick if I remember correctly over on the vstrom international forum who fabricates them. Has anyone purchased one from him and how do they hold up?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got mine from Pat Walsh Designs. It's a great site and the customer service etc is top notch. I have ordered a few things from him. You won't be disappointed.
www.patwalshdesigns.com

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase one. I saw that there is guy ....Rick if I remember correctly over on the vstrom international forum who fabricates them. Has anyone purchased one from him and how do they hold up?
+1 for Rick. It's a really nice piece. Instructions for ordering are also in the Inventors section of this site.

Bonus: He ships them fast in an envelope via regular USPS, and I don't think any of us in Canada who have ordered one have ever been dinged by CBSA for customs.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Richland Rick is the search term to go by. . .

He and Gloria, his lady, will take good care of your transaction!

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I'm no "high speed" bandit. But, I have a Richland Rick's brace on my bike. Seems like it made the fork actuate a bit better too - the front end just feels solid with the brace.

It also doesn't deflect from hitting large gravel chunks/rocks when riding dirt roads [the stock fork deflects wildly in these situations - I thought it was my front tire that was causing all the darting - it wasn't!].

And, being able to pass trucks on the highway, without the front end twisting all over the place, is truly the best part!

Took all of 10 minutes to install too.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to order the fork brace and mirror extenders from Rick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have Richland Rick's fork brace and mirror extenders. Both very well made and an excellent upgrade. I live in a very windy area, and the brace made a huge difference on my 2011 wee. Excellent people to deal with, quick shipping and stellar customer service. Ride it a bit before you put the brace on so you notice the difference and feel like you got your money's worth:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts