StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I own a nicely farkled 05 Wee, that's well set up for touring. Progressive front springs and beefed up rear spring, Givi hard bags and Givi touring windshield, Shad top case, stainless exhaust, centre stand, engine and hand guards, skid plate, ignition advancer, Genmar risers and high-end replacement headlight bulbs. I use my bike as a daily commuter - approx 50 klm/day - plus day trips on the week-end of around 350klm. My wife and I are starting to ride two-up and our plan is a month-long trip through Mexico this January and a three-month trip to South America in 2010. Between the two of us and luggage, we'll be right at the edge of GVR.
Here's my question - and please feel free to wade in with an opinion:
I've pretty much maxed out my wife's patience as far as my farkle obsession. I've spent a lot already and I'm still waiting for my tank pannier's to arrive (which she doesn't yet know about)
With this in mind I have to decide what's more important, a fork brace or auxiliary lights. My first thought was lights but I tried to cheap out and I picked up a set from WalMart for <$40. Apparently you get what you pay for and I've since taken them off and returned them. Everything I can see points to PIAA's or something similar in the minimum $150 range - and the jury is still out on the wattage capacity of the Wee so I'd probably have to change the bulbs anyway to get away from 2X55.
So, any recommendations? If I'm going to spend close to $200 and it'll be my last farkle for quite a while, should I install lights or a fork brace?
Thx in advance - I look forward to all the opinions
Cheers

·
Registered
508 Posts
Take look at Optilux series from Rallylights.com.........less than $20.00. I feel much safer with the lights on during the day.

Good luck.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Fork Brace.

Weave to be noticed.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
+1 on the Optilux 1500's from rallylights.com. If you have a place to mount them already, you can buy them (plus a pair of 35W replacement bulbs) AND the fork brace for just under $200.
If you really must have the more expensive lights, then a fork brace sounds like the more useful farkle for fully-laden riding.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Fork brace will be a good addition whether 2 up or not. I do ride like the old guy that I am and still noticed a difference. There is a certain amount of flex in the forks and much of it is eliminated with the brace. The bike never was nervous or twitchy before but now it feels real planted and solid. Get the brace and pop for some SilverStar bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts