StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've brought the forks up 5/8" (or something like that in the clamps). do I still have room for a fork brace? thanks in advance!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Do you have ABS? That can cause a problem. I would give up some travel using Rancho RS1952 fork gaiters with the bottom cut off at the second pleat rather than ride without a brace though. If no ABS, you're fine as is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no ABS greywolf, so I"m thinking I might be OK. any recommendations? it seems a pretty squirrelly in high winds (35mph+) to me, and thought a fork brace might be in order.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A fork brace is always recommended. If that kills the squirrels, great. If not, check the tightness of the steering stem bearings. They were loose on my '04, and correctly tightening them made the difference. Note that the bearing adjusting nut is not a damper and must not be too tight, but tight just right is a delight.
:green_lol:

My '04 didn't have any looseness in the front end when I looked for it by hand, and the effort required to turn the front was as specified in the repair manual, but it was indeed loose. Tightening cured the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks PTR. the bike only has 3K on it, but I suppose those bearings still might not be tight enough. I'm definitely going with some kind of low-profile fork brace to firm everything up front as well.

·
38,103 Posts
The steering head bearings can be wrong from the factory.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the heads up from both of you. I've ridden tons of miles on a lot of bikes and was surprised how much I had to fight this thing one day in a fierce wind. it could have been windier than I thought, or a weird direction, but I'll definitely check out the steering head bearings now. thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got Murph's 'Kevin Somebody' Fork Brace on my '07 650A with the fork brace lowered 5/8" - no problem fitting that piece on. well worth the price as others have said. Biggest improvement can be felt in long sweeper turns on uneven pavement.

Oughta have your rear suspension lowered with lowering links to keep things on an even keel, BTW.

·
38,103 Posts
But having the front a bit lower than a stock rear improves the bike's aerodynamics as the fairing is less prone to lift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
But having the front a bit lower than a stock rear improves the bike's aerodynamics as the fairing is less prone to lift.
When I did this the consensus was to keep the chassis geometry neutral with a drop on both ends using lowering links. Handling improved noticeably and making sharper slow speed turns is enhanced with the lower CG. I have no idea what the effect would be with just a dropped front. May be a moot point but does anybody have experience with this setup to share?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
mine is lowered with fork brace

I've brought the forks up 5/8" (or something like that in the clamps). do I still have room for a fork brace? thanks in advance!
my 07 is lowered, front and back, with fork brace

no abs

·
38,103 Posts
May be a moot point but does anybody have experience with this setup to share?
Many people have lowered the front end only. Most like it better. I only did it after many people had reported more stability. That seemed contrary to known rake and trail physics. Then I reasoned it must be about aerodynamics because it works. It's free and relatively easy to try it and see. 10-15mm seems to be the sweet spot but ABS bikes with fork braces are limited to 7-10mm due to the brake junction under the bottom triple clamp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts