StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a clear picture and I don't have my bike yet. Does anybody know for sure if the old fork brace will fit on the new model?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It will....

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Rick's fork brace at least fitted on my AL2.

However, I did have to loosen up the front guard bolts so I could wriggle it into place, then retighten - it's a tighter fit.

The effect was different on the AL2 from my K6, the front suspension on the AL2 is better than the K6 and the bike wallowed less to start with but for some reason the suspension became silky smooth after adding the brace. (May have been due to loosening the axle pinch bolts and bouncing the bike a few times).

You still get the benefits in strong winds so yes, still very worthwhile.

Pete

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used a rubber mallet on my AL2 to nudge it into place, and had to progressively screw in the bolts to ensure clearance as it went down behind the fender.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So is it a consensus that the fork brace is a worthwhile addition to the 2012?

I'm suffering from a very serious case of farkle fever lol....

·
38,048 Posts
So is it a consensus that the fork brace is a worthwhile addition to the 2012?

I'm suffering from a very serious case of farkle fever lol....
I got one and don't even have the bike yet. I stood in front of a bike without a brace and put a foot on each side of the front tire, holding it in place. I wiggled the handlebars and watched the front fender move back and forth above the top of the tire.

·
Registered
418 Posts
OK, good enough for me. Richlandrick brace just ordered. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep. It's totally worth it. "Before" handling is an improvement over the old bike, but "after" the brace install, it handles wickedly precisely.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Vendor
5,257 Posts
All,

A note about installing the fork brace.

Please loosen the front axle pinch bolt AND loosen the front axle several turns. This will give you the room necessary to install the brace easily.

The brace is designed to match the distance between the fork tubes exactly. A little extra wiggle room is needed between the fork tubes to slide the brace in. The front axle is designed to thread into the opposite side fork tubes pullling the ends of the tubes together, so unthreading it a little is necessary to get the wiggle room.

Remember to button it all up again before riding.

Rick
aka, richlandrick

·
38,048 Posts
There is now a web page. Yippee! Bookmarked.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
All,

Please loosen the front axle pinch bolt AND loosen the front axle several turns. This will give you the room necessary to install the brace easily.

The brace is designed to match the distance between the fork tubes exactly. A little extra wiggle room is needed between the fork tubes to slide the brace in. The front axle is designed to thread into the opposite side fork tubes pullling the ends of the tubes together, so unthreading it a little is necessary to get the wiggle room.

Rick
aka, richlandrick
Probably a good idea to modify your webpage descriptions for items not designed for 2012 Wees now.

I know the fork brace and mirror extenders still work fine, but I'm guessing a few other items do not, ie, shelf and gps bracket.

I guess this begs the obvious question.....any plans to make some of your great farkles for the new Wee?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Probably a good idea to modify your webpage descriptions for items not designed for 2012 Wees now.

I know the fork brace and mirror extenders still work fine, but I'm guessing a few other items do not, ie, shelf and gps bracket.

I guess this begs the obvious question.....any plans to make some of your great farkles for the new Wee?
To begin with, I'll start by siding with PeteW, the fork brace adds a nice finishing touch to the improved suspension.

To follow CHIA, I have inside info that says that Rick is working on GPS shelf, corrections to the sidestand foot to make it compatible, and will get to the accessory shelf as well.
An added bonus, when you live in the same region, and you happen to stop buy while Rick is home is that he may even install the fork brace for you!

I'm pretty sure that I could chalk that one up to, seeing how it fits!

He has also started some prototypes after taking some measurements from my G-Strom...

These Adventure Tech folks are tough to beat!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installed Richland Rick fork brace on my 2011 wee today, I am amazed at how much better it feels under all conditions. Installed in about 10 or 15 minutes, took longer getting tools and putting them away then the actual installation.
Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
bolts?

All,

Rick
aka, richlandrick
can someone post a pix of this pinch bolt and front axle bolts that are to be loosened? my brace is on the way and i have no idea what to loosen.
dont want to do anything stupid with the front end..
sorry i am mechanically challenged when it comes to working on my new
Wee2
thanks

·
38,048 Posts
The pinch bolt and axle access are on the bottom of the left fork leg as you sit on the bike. The pinch bolt is at the extreme bottom under the axle end. That should be enough. The fork lag can move over the axle end when the pinch bolt is loosened so I don't see how loosening the axle will change anything. You can see the silver bolt head against the bottom of the black fork leg in this pic.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts