StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many post about fork braces and would like to know why they are so popular. I have owned 7 motorcycles, spanning ~40 years, and really can't find any problems with the fork that can't be fixed with higher spring rates and better damping. So what's the deal with fork braces, is it because they are relatively cheap, and easy to install or ?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I've installed a fork brace last week, and actually managed to ride for some miles with it.

I think the main reason it is popular, is because of the shaky nature of the OEM V-Strom fork combined with the V-Strom aerodynamic design (or lack of). At high speeds the front lifts up and is very easily affected by cross winds etc.

The fork brace provides a stiffer fork, and eliminates some of these issues.

e.g. Cornering with the fork brace seems much more rigid.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The forks are okay individually, I think. But the way they interact through the bike, thats where the unhappiness lurks, and why a brace makes such a difference. Croswinds and attitude/velocity changes in corners, those were where the bike seemed unsettled to me. Not so bad I was scared, but enough that I noticed it. With the brace, I don't even think about it anymore. Well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
After adding a fork brace I noticed right away how much better the bike handled in turns on rough, bumpy roads. The bike should come with a fork brace.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Fork tubes are thin and light and cheap and long

Tieing them together adds a lot of stiffness against flex

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
thin tube, thin axle, narrow triple clamp area and relatively long fork all contribute to the flexibleneess of the forks, seem to be especially bad on vstrom - i had on pretty much from day one, so i cant say from personal experience but most agree with the statement whether or not they have the brace -

This flexing cause all sorts of stability and handling issue.

Brace add to that rigidity and is cheap and results is very notceable and, that's why they are popular

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bang for the buck Imo this is the best handling mod for our bikes.

Very nice improvement with side winds, riding in dirty air stream at hwy speeds etc.

Many bike manufacturers mount forks upside down to achieve somewhat similar results.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Showa builds better forks than the ones Suzuki chooses to buy for the stroms. Forks flex. When they flex, they stick-slip-stick-slip-stick-slip, etc. Reducing the flex is a big help. Here's how a brace helps.
SuperBrace Simulation - The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

Superbrace is excellent, except---it costs more (but looks better), and the arched cross member interferes more with the ABS distribution block on the ABS bikes.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
thin tube, thin axle, narrow triple clamp area and relatively long fork all contribute to the flexibleneess of the forks, seem to be especially bad on vstrom - i had on pretty much from day one, so i cant say from personal experience but most agree with the statement whether or not they have the brace -

This flexing cause all sorts of stability and handling issue.

Brace add to that rigidity and is cheap and results is very notceable and, that's why they are popular
If you think the DL is bad, bikes like the KTM 990 Adventure are really interesting to watch on rough surfaces - they dance around a lot more than a DL does and on rough seal can be a real handful but I guess being more dirt orientated the riders expect that ;)

And yes, it's mostly the flex from the tall thin suspension components.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
since suzuki dont put them on- it begs the question: why? is there any down side of have a fork brace

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
since suzuki dont put them on- it begs the question: why? is there any down side of have a fork brace
Money. The Strom is a no frills bike.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Way back most bikes had a stamped metal fork brace as part of their fender.

A column strength is a 3rd power equation of its laterally supported length. The addition of this stiffener even a sliding one greatly strengthens the front end.

The front wheel can twist into steer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Some say adding a fork brace transforms the handling, turning the Strom into a fabulous handler like a motogp bike--and that is overstating the case by quite a bit. All it does is stiffen the forks, reducing the flex when hitting an object in the road like a bump, chuckhole, or curb. All forks flex to some degree, and in the case of my Vee it really made a noticable increase in the firm feeling in the front It makes the frontend seem more solid and it increased the level of confidence in my 'feel' for the front tire, I feel more confident when cornering, and I may be comfortable going a few mph faster. If I were to lose my fork brace I'd definitely figure out a way to get another one since I am now used to the improved feel.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
strength

A column strength is a 3rd power equation of its laterally supported length. The addition of this stiffener even a sliding one greatly strengthens the front end.
This issue is dynamic flexural stiffness and dynamic column stiuffness - not strength per se

the "column load" is carried by the spring - not the fork tubes - so your 3rd power equation is not applicable

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I disagree almost all forces on forks have some off center or twisting components. I believe the vagueness comes from the front wheel being steered by these twists and bends. The springs control the up and down motion but none off the others.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have read all the post and can appreciate the responses. The benefits include less twisting, more planted, more stable etc., but it really doesn't sound like the bike has some terrible trait to start with, just a fork brace improves these things mentioned. What's the trade off? I would imagine that it's impossible to get the centers of the machined brace to be exactly the same center to center distance that is established by the fork triple clamps, wouldn't this cause more stiction?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
What's the trade off? I would imagine that it's impossible to get the centers of the machined brace to be exactly the same center to center distance that is established by the fork triple clamps, wouldn't this cause more stiction?
While it may not be possible to get the "centers" of the fork brace to half a tenth of what the actual fork tube centers as held in the triple clamps are, this is a case of close is good enough. That is because the fork tubes will not be EXACTLY parallel from top to bottom below the triple clamps;ie wider at the bottom than the top for instance. The biggest benefit the brace gives is its ability to lessen twist of the fork tubes which does "steer" the front tire. As for stiction, if the fork brace can better keep the tubes parallel, there will be less stiction with the brace than without since the bushings are not in a bind. By reducing flex the fork brace allows the front suspension to work as it is supposed to. Much easier to notice small changes in valving, preload, sag, etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I would imagine that it's impossible to get the centers of the machined brace to be exactly the same center to center distance that is established by the fork triple clamps, wouldn't this cause more stiction?
It would if the variance was bad enough. Parts have tolerances as nothing is exact. That statement assumes the center to center distances of both triple clamps is exact. They are instead, within tolerance. Fork braces are constructed within the tolerances required to do the job properly.

If you are really worried, get a Kevin Baker fork brace. It has a variable span that is determined by the fork it is applied to before it is clamped together.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts