StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you forgotten to do?
Things like forgetting to put your kickstand up, or tighten some important bolt, or forget to put oil cap on. (I've done the latter).
I'm sure there are some interesting stories.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
The day before a weekend ride I was stopping at a store for groceries and forgot to put my foot down when I stopped. I caught it before the bike and I fell over.

On the first day of the weekend ride my fiend @Heavy stopped at a stop sign and also forgot to put his foot down. (I guess I was contagious.) He wasn't able to catch it and broke off the Left footpeg on his old DL1000. (He is sure to deny that is what happened but I saw it.. that's what happened.)

..Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Funny you should ask. I put Oxford heated grips on my strom yesterday and had to pull some of the plastic so I could get to the wiring. Somehow managed to end up with 2 screws left over. No idea where they go. None.

Jes

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny responses. I believe the screws go on the tank plastic. I had the same problem when I changed my air filter. Finally figured it out.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I saw a cartoon graphic of a women crying. The caption was, "I can't believe I forgot to have children."
I forgot about the gas tank reserve lever once after an extended time off the bike. Sitting at the side of the road trying to figure out why the bike stopped. DOH!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Funny responses. I believe the screws go on the tank plastic. I had the same problem when I changed my air filter. Finally figured it out.
Yeah I'm going to have to try again this evening and see if I can figure it out.

Jes

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The day before a weekend ride I was stopping at a store for groceries and forgot to put my foot down when I stopped. I caught it before the bike and I fell over.

On the first day of the weekend ride my fiend @Heavy stopped at a stop sign and also forgot to put his foot down. (I guess I was contagious.) He wasn't able to catch it and broke off the Left footpeg on his old DL1000. (He is sure to deny that is what happened but I saw it.. that's what happened.)

..Tom
I used to ride a goldwing.
After a looong ride one day I pulled into the driveway between the wife's car and my bronco. I did the stop and forget to put the the foot down thing and the wing pinned me between the bike and my bronco. Still had my helmet on and it was forcing my head at a funny angle on the top of the fender.

I'm no weakling, but I could not budge the bike with one leg that was angled oddly so that I could not make full use of it. Soooooooo there I was - unable to get upright, and different body parts starting to hurt from the weight of the bike. After several minutes I figured I would have to beep the horn and get some help, but I gave it one last gasp effort, twisting and flexing everything I had and pushing with the leg all at once.... Whew! I made it and parked the bike in the garage, walked in the house, sat down and my wife asked me why I was breathing hard.... LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
I keep forgetting to set my clock on the bike... and then it annoys the hell out of me 2km down the road. I literally forget EVERYTIME!

Hell, thanks for reminding me ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a cartoon graphic of a women crying. The caption was, "I can't believe I forgot to have children."
I forgot about the gas tank reserve lever once after an extended time off the bike. Sitting at the side of the road trying to figure out why the bike stopped. DOH!
I did this once on my brother's vintage Moto Guzzi. Took it on a longish day trip with wife on the back. Stopped to eat lunch and gas up, so I turned off the stopcock. A couple of miles down the road: putt...putt...patooey. What the heck? Found my way to a phone booth (this was back before cell phones), rang my brother and promptly lost whatever cred I had as a motorcyclist. Thank goodness for fuel injection, I say.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to put my helmet on. I was wearing a hat and noticed my bike was louder than usual. Drove by a street light, saw my shadow and realized my helmet does not have a brim.

Although I usually use a helmet, I live in a state that does not have a helmet law. Darwinism keeps the Harley bikers in check.

·
Registered
60 Posts
About half the time I start out on a ride I forget to clip on the Helite jacket airbag tether. I'm getting pretty good at clipping it on while riding, but need a straight section to do it. In more sensible moments, I pull over to clip it. Seems like the other half the times when I remember to clip it in, I forget to unclip when I stop. Good thing it can't be activated by trying to walk away from the bike while still attached. Seems like I'm getting better at remembering, at least I hope so.

·
Registered
811 Posts
On a day trip over to the National Motorcycle Museum in Iowa, I parked the bike, shed my gear and walked into the museum. Spent about 4 hours there ogling the collection. As I walked out, I reached into my pocket for my keys and had a panic moment when they were missing. This was before I started carrying a spare set of keys with me on my trips. But I was within sight of the bike and I saw my keys sitting in the ignition. Thanks to the good people of Anamosa, IA, for their inherent honesty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I left a bungee loose on the back of the saddle after parking at work one day, came out in the evening and didn't see it, started up and ~1 mile later the thing fell and got snagged in the chain with one end hooked to the passenger grab bar... made a horrible racket that scared the bajeezus out of me. Fortunately I could pull over easy enough, saw what a retarded thing I had done, spent the next half hour pulling shreds out of the chain and front sprocket, reminding myself in terse words I reserve only for other drivers what a f*&#*!! retarded thing I had done. The onboard tool kit and my swiss army knife saved the day, and amazingly/luckily not a bit of damage. What a retarded thing I had done.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I went into a giant Walmart to get some oil and had to wander the store to find it, then headed out the door after paying. The bike was gone, I searched around and thought it was stolen, was pulling my phone out to call police then I noticed the identical front door to the store way down on the other end of the building, sure enough my bike was sitting there, right where I left it. That was a huge relief.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts