StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Good article. I'm not looking into airbags or vests yet, but I noticed decades ago how when seeing a pack of cruisers coming toward me, those with "passing lights" grabbed my attention more than the others. With the availability of bright low current draw LED lights, it's one of the first things I add to any motorcycle now.
Amber on the Vee, white on the C90, they both help oncoming drivers notice me, and maybe, just maybe not turn left in front of me.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2012 Vee
18 Posts
Good article. I'm not looking into airbags or vests yet, but I noticed decades ago how when seeing a pack of cruisers coming toward me, those with "passing lights" grabbed my attention more than the others. With the availability of bright low current draw LED lights, it's one of the first things I add to any motorcycle now.
Amber on the Vee, white on the C90, they both help oncoming drivers notice me, and maybe, just maybe not turn left in front of me.
Do you have a link to the light you have on the vee?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
and a fridge in the garage 🍺🥂:D niiice LED's too !
Two things a garage has to have, fridge and laundry tub. This was a carport when we bought this house, we had it enclosed to a 24x24 garage.

Do you have a link to the light you have on the vee?
They are very inexpensive Amazon lights tied into the factory heated grip connector behind the radiator and an on/off switch on the handlebars. They get very bright, I've got them aimed down a bit or they'd blind oncoming drivers.

Amazon.com: Ourbest Motorcycle Driving Running Lights, 2inch Yellow Spotlight LED Fork Tube Fog Lights for Motorbike ATV Bicycle Accent Off Road Lighting (10W Yellow ) : Automotive

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
When you buy a light to be conspicuous and there is a choice of spot or fog, go with the fog. The fogs pattern can be seen thru a wider area, such as a corner or hilly area. I have 1 set of both mounted to my 1000.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
When you buy a light to be conspicuous and there is a choice of spot or fog, go with the fog. The fogs pattern can be seen thru a wider area, such as a corner or hilly area. I have 1 set of both mounted to my 1000.
that's a good point, I installed two of each "fog and spot" on my FJR1300
Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Audio equipment Plant
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree. I went from typical black/grey riding gear to black with hi-viz.Hi-viz accents on my helmet and gloves, 3M scotchlite reflective tape on the rear of my side cases, airbag jacket and amber lights as well as clear spot lights mounted lower (use very little as I don't ride at night). Since I installed my amber lights I can't recall an instance now where I didn't think someone didn't see me. They're great. It's nice to be seen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay, I’m laying myself wide open here…but here goes…

This was an unfortunate title for this article. All of the points made both in the article and in this thread are valid and well made.

For me both loud pipes and referring to cars as cages are worn out talking points.

Without getting into the effectiveness of such an exercise, the idea that someone would put loud pipes on a motorcycle to save a life, theirs or someone else's, is ridiculous. People put loud pipes on bikes because they want a loud bike. The justification for a loud exhaust as a humanitarian jesture is biker attempt to virtue signal or to embarrass the critic by implying that in the critic’s rush to critcize, this point was missed.

I appologize for the overuse of the word critic, but in the name of 2022 political correctness it’s the best I can do.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yup, good article. Excellent points.

One thing I will add is the SMIDSY maneuver. I do that every time I approach an intersection with oncoming cars waiting as well as every time I approach a side street where a car is waiting at the stop sign or light or waiting to turn left into it. The eyes see motion and having that light triangle weaving back and forth in the lane is very noticeable.

I also found the same thing with the headlight modulator. Drivers around here had no idea what that was about and they did not like it, at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally i don't think it matters a lot having high viz, bright lights, loud pipes etc.
Most people don't even notice an ambulance, police car of firetruck when it's behind them.
I always try to ride very defensive. Take your time, keep your distance and always look around you. Be aware of the situation around you. Try to make eye contact and don't ride like a hooligan.
But that's just my opinion after riding for over 30 years.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
I really think my Clearwater Darla lights are my main safety help on my 650. They have a really noticeable Yellow/ Green filter, and they have a great dimmer system. I can tone them down at night and blast them when riding while backlit. They go full bright if I hit the horn or throw on the high beams. Pricey, but an important part of my bike. I also wear a hi viz turtle vest and my bucket is Hi Viz too. Sure look like a safety nut pulling into the local biker meet in Toronto on thursday nights. Not too many Vstroms there , just as there are not too many Camrys at car events.
Another safety item I bought into is having a plastic slider on your gloves. When you go down at speed and put your hand down, apparently the grip of the leather and road can can buckle your shoulder quite easily on impact. Shoulders take a while to heal and I would hate to not be able to play badminton.

Reactions: Byronw

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anything you can do to be seen or heard helps under certain circumstances. With that said, it really is up to you to get home in the same condition you left. You have to always expect that there is someone drunk, on their phone, listening to their music too loud, driving while exhausted, etc, etc, who will ruin your day.
I have had numerous people pull out, or not notice me, while driving a police car with all of the strobes, roof lights, and sirens blaring. If you are going faster than the other traffic, the chances increase.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,778 Posts
To all those who wrote in. please note that amber and selective yellow are different colours and the yellow is more more conspicuous.
Good point. Wouldn't surprise me if that were a difference found with the cheapest Chinesium accessory lights vs. the more legit ones. That is, the cheap ones likely use "eh it's amber or something" where the pricier ones actually bother to do proper selective yellow.

I could be wrong of course.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From my own experience driving my various cages for many hundreds of thousands of miles, I would agree that bright hi-viz colors make a HUGE difference in noticing motorcyclists and bicyclists.

Have made note again and again how I see them from a couple of hundred yards away, versus seeing those wearing black at the last second.

I enjoy riding both bikes and motorcycles, and I'm old enough not to care if I look like a nerd or "uncool" in my high viz colors.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I always try to ride very defensive. Take your time, keep your distance and always look around you. Be aware of the situation around you. Try to make eye contact and don't ride like a hooligan.
Those also are (the most) important strategies for staying safe. IME adding conspicuity helps, too (both visual and momentary aural, i.e. loud horn, when appropriate).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Fortnine also came out with a nice video on this a few days ago. The main points for me:

1. Stereoscopic vision only works up to about 30 meters. Beyond that, people judge speed by distance and frontal area. The latter of which is different on a motorcycle.
2. Stereoscopic vision doesn't work at all if somebody is looking at you from the corner of his eyes.
So... People will always suck at judging the speed of a motorcycle correctly unless you are approaching them head-on and within 30 meters. Your best defense: Drive with the traffic, be predictable.

·
Registered
2012 650 Adventure
23 Posts
I recently mounted yellow LEDs on my front fork reflector mounts and they definitely seem to make me more visible due to the reactions I'm now seeing from cagers. Will get some pics up soon.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts