StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i order the russell seat for my 08 , or should i just trade it in and get the 2012? Is it basically the same bike with a new look? I really like it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Never thought I would own a v-strom..but I do now!

The older v-strom are great bikes from what I read. The 2012 really appealed to me so I bought on today.

From all that I have read in the past several weeks people who have owned the "old" model really love the new 2012.

I find it a very nice bike for the $$$$$.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are happy with the '08 just upgrade the seat. From a dollars and cents perspective it would be difficult justifying the new bike just for the seat. Look at sales tax, increased insurance, and the hassle of buying a bike. However if there are features like ABS you don't have and want or you just want a new bike, well...you only live once :yesnod:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Waiting for a white one

Placed order for a white 2012, just found out I may have to wait until May, that just sucks, but then it just snowed again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Should i order the russell seat for my 08 , or should i just trade it in and get the 2012? Is it basically the same bike with a new look? I really like it.
Definitely NOT the same bike with an updated fairing. The new motor and suspensions tweaks are what caught my interest. From my discussions with owners of the older version, the motor is much smoother with more pop up top. Then you have the other new features such as the instrument pod, new seat, etc. The new seat is just one of many improvements. There is an excellent review in a past issue of the Bike magazine(England). Sept. 2011 issue I believe. They tend to be very critical of new bikes and they really did love the 2012 model. Just sayin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are happy with the '08 just upgrade the seat. From a dollars and cents perspective it would be difficult justifying the new bike just for the seat. Look at sales tax, increased insurance, and the hassle of buying a bike. However if there are features like ABS you don't have and want or you just want a new bike, well...you only live once :yesnod:
No, not just for the seat . I was about to order my russell about 6 months ago, and saw the 2012. And thinking to myself, I like that. so i put off ordering the seat. My 08 is paid for, so i figure that might cut the price of the new one in half:mrgreen:, hopefully.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You made the decision to wait, I would follow it through and get the 2012. You will not be disappointed, and like it was said earlier, you only live once:thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is the stock seat any better? will i still be ordering a russell??
You will have to give it a try. From what I hear, it is better that the older stock versions, but it is still a stock seat. I do not believe that Russell has them made yet for the 2012 version. I would wait until they are released and get feedback on the comfort before you decide

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you like it, get the 12 and get the Russell done on it.
I've not ridden it, did see one. The seat does look better shaped than the '11 but I don't care what they did to the seat its not in the comfort league of a custom seat, in particular a Russell. You're trying to compare stock to something made specifically for your weight and measurements and stock is going to come in a distant second.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im hooked.. the last 50 miles have been Snow, Rain, 36 deg.
here in Seattle area. The 2012 display shows im avg 48.7 mpg. This is at the press of a toggle on the left switch assy. (that Rulz) also when I started the bike this morning I had the first 10min of my ride was with the Little snow flake indicator light. manual says it goes away at 41deg.

Anyway i really like my new DL, it suits me I can customize it the way I want. I couldn't pass up the 0% suzuki is offering til 03-31. It is the best Bang for your buck. I have ridden many Wee-Stroms with many mods.. I cant wait to apply all this Wee knowledge to my 2012.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts