StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which slip-on do you have and in hindsight, do you think it's too loud?

Have you done a dyno/retune and if not, do you think if would benefit from a tune?

I put a Drummer on my Ulysses and shortly thereafter took a 5000 mile trip. Even with ear plugs, it was simply too loud. It was literally exhausting (no pun intended) listening to that much noise for miles on end. There was also a lot of popping on deceleration that was annoying. I went back to stock.

Tipsy

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a Yoshimura slip-on, and have no problem at all with volume level on long trips. I don't wear ear protection but I do wear a full face helmet. I did not have a dyno since the bike is running great. My better half rides behind me on her bike and says the bike sounds great and not loud.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yosh with Db killer removed. Sounds and goes great! Also have a Servo Buddy installed and a TRE. No further tuning done and I'm very happy with the performance

Reactions: We2V2

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got an arrow on mine, I've left the DB killer in as I live in a complex and don;t like to be too loud for the neighbours. It still sounds great though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the Arrow as well but w/o DB killer, no tune, and wear ear plugs every ride. I think I would put the stock back on if I went on a 5k mile or similar length trip. But for around town, commuting, and rides up to a few hours the slip on completely changes the personality of the bike for me. I know it has a different purpose than a sportbike or cruiser but I just didnt enjoy the sound of it stock, too quiet for my taste. Feels faster and smoother even if just in my head with the Arrow. It does have some minor popping on decel but doesn't bother me

·
Registered
666 Posts
Custom exhaust. This bike will never be too loud with the catted mid section.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a Yoshimura R-77 on my DL1000 and was wondering if that comes with a DB killer pre-installed. I don't see anything that seems removable but there is a black ring inside that says "Yoshimura on" it. Anyone know if this comes out?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a Yoshimura R-77 on my DL1000 and was wondering if that comes with a DB killer pre-installed. I don't see anything that seems removable but there is a black ring inside that says "Yoshimura on" it. Anyone know if this comes out?
Yes mate, it comes out >:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would have never thought. The question is, if it's too loud will it go back in without issues? The exhaust sounds pretty decent already but now I'm curious to know how much better (louder) it will sound.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Take out the rubber bung on the wheel side of the muffler, CAREFULLY use a Dremel tool to cut/grind the spot welds from around the head of the bolt inside. You should see the nut by looking down the end of the muffler, it's welded in place. Remove the bolt and the Db killer slides out. If you have been gentle, you can replace it anytime. Sounds great when it's out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Staintune Slip-ons on my 2004 DL1000. Not to loud at all. (older guy over the loud obnoxious sound)

Thought it ran ok. Installed a Power Commander V on it and Dyno Tuned it.
Night and day. pulls better and is smoother in the lower RPMS and mid range.

My $.02

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would have never thought. The question is, if it's too loud will it go back in without issues? The exhaust sounds pretty decent already but now I'm curious to know how much better (louder) it will sound.
I had a pro do it, and if I wanted to re-install the db killer I could, however I see no need to do it....and I'm older than dirt!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Staintune Slip-ons on my 2004 DL1000. Not to loud at all. (older guy over the loud obnoxious sound)
Mike
I had the same set-up on my '06, I loved how you could re-install the db killer in less than a minute, which I often did especially around town. On my trips, I always left it out, fabulous sound.

Mike, be advised, this is a V2 forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mike, be advised, this is a V2 forum.
I figured that since the original poster mentioned a Buell Ulysses that all vehicle input was welcome.
I put a Drummer on my Ulysses and shortly thereafter took a 5000 mile trip.
Tipsy
Sorry. Guess my bike and myself are to old to play here.

Before I go since the Ulysses was mentioned I want to share pics of my buddies. He loaned it to me last year before I bought my DL1000

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured that since the original poster mentioned a Buell Ulysses that all vehicle input was welcome.
I mentioned the Ulysses because that was my most recent experience with a slip-on on a street bike. But yes, I am mostly interested in feedback from those with a Vee2.

So far, I don't see many votes for "too loud," so I guess that's a good thing :)

Tipsy

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry. Guess my bike and myself are to old to play here.

Before I go since the Ulysses was mentioned I want to share pics of my buddies. He loaned it to me last year before I bought my DL1000
[/IMG]
Damn Mike, a little sensitive aren't we. Read my post again, I was chatting with you about your staintunes. A lot of posts here are from riders who do not own a V2. It just didn't sound like you were aware of the V2 forum and I was pointing that out. It certainly isn't up to me to tell you what to post or where to post it, I'm not a moderator by a long shot. And it just so happens that Staintune now makes a can for the V2, does anyone have one??

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
I have the Full Arrow Exhaust (slip on and collector, no cat). With the Db killer in it just sounds awesome. A little loader without the Db killer removed, but not obnoxious. After hearing the difference with and without the Db killer I just put it back in and haven't given it a thought since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts