StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm back! Just picked up a 2005 DL1000
After about 2-3 years I have come full circle into a V-Strom again. Except this time it's a 1000 instead of a 650.

I have a question about a motor noise I don't remember from my 650. Unsure if it's just the 1000's size.
When I accelerate, between roughly 2200rpm-4000ish (maybe 3800?) it makes its regular motor grunting noise PLUS some sort of like a chattering. Sort of like the old steam trains chugging on the railroad track in the movies.
Is it supposed to do that? But at any other RPMs it goes away

Also is the 650's gearbox different from the 1000's? I don't remember it clunking so hard/loud into 2nd and 3rd. But once again it's been a long time since I rode my 650. November of 2009 or so

What I had in mind was for someone that has a 1000 and didnt mind giving my bike a quick ride around to see if it feels like theirs it would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I'm just paranoid :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Different engine, different gearbox, different clutch. All your answers have been posted here numerous times. Use the google custom search box at the top of this page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes and yes

Waldo, congrats, I just joined the Strom world myself picking up an 04 Vee. The previous response was spot on, tons of info on this site. I had lurked here reading and reading, so I knew what to look for and the typical Stromisims to look for and or address. The previous owner of my bike addressed the issues you refer to and I am very happy with the bike so far.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

Yea it's just a bit weird running it like that. It didn't feel right. It seems like that's just how this is. I am looking into getting a power commander though. But money is tight right now. Spent too much money this month.

I love the power and feel of the 1000. It's not really necessary as the 650 I had before was plenty but the extra grunt is definitely a nice addition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts