StromTrooper banner

Footpeg placement

2106 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Between the Wheels
I just returned from a week's trip to NC, specifically Deals Gap, Stecoah, Robbinsville, etc., and I put about 2,500 miles on the odometer. This is what I ended up with on my right leg:

The bruising is mainly above the boot line on the side of the calf and also on some of the shin. You can also see some bruising on the ankle below the top of the boot. Why so much bruising you ask? Because of the damned right footpeg. For some reason only the right leg is affected. Apparently, I must be whacking the footpeg when I mount up. Normally, I have to help my leg up and through the saddle area with my right arm and then I fire myself over into the saddle fairly quickly. Because of the left tilt of the bike the right footpeg is higher off the ground than the left one - and it seems to stick out enough that my shin hits it hard on the way to the ground.

My question is: have any of you folks had a similar problem and, if so, what did you do to correct it - that is, were you able to find a workable solution to prevent injury?

Short of strapping on a baseball hitter's shin-guard I don't know what else I can do except move the peg back or forward of its current location (which is directly under the low part of the seat). I don't know if it's even possible to move the location of the pegs. :confused:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Have you tried changing the way you mount the bike? Normally I swing my leg over but if I have something on the passenger seat I put my leg over the saddle area foot-first like you. But instead of shooting on over in one go, I rest the back of my knee on the right edge of the seat for a moment. That lets me adjust my left foot closer to the bike and rotate my body to face forward, which makes it easier to line my right foot up with the peg or the ground and ease on over into the seat.

· Registered
187 Posts
Ditto to Golden Monkey. Once my right leg/back of right knee is rested on seat I do a little hop or two w my left leg, n then Bob's your uncle for settling into the seat.

· Registered
38 Posts
When i went looking to buy a bike I did a lot of research and tried every bike for comfort but gave up on the wee because it was too tall?? I kept going back to it and one saleman said stand on the peg with your left foot and swing your right leg over?
Too simple. Bought the bike and everytime side stand hop on just too easy?

· Registered
242 Posts
Yep. Left foot on the left peg, stand on it and swing the right leg over.
I'd like to do that, particularly dismounting, because my cases are very wide and my boot drags on them. However it appears to me that this would put a lot of stress on the sidestand. I don't think it's designed for that much weight. It doesn't help that I weigh 220.

· Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I'm 230lb / 6ft and I can use the side stand to climb on.
I prefer to use the centre stand. Then you can ride right off the stand, looks cool IMHO!

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bashing and Bruising Right Leg on Mount-up

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will try your "methods" and see which one works the best for me. :thumbup:

Coming from a cruiser with foot-forward floorboards I never had an object in the way when planting my foot on the ground. I'm still getting used to the wee. I have to say that, because of my tender leg, I have become more aware of the peg so it's become less of a problem. But, I still manage to hit it on occasion getting on and foot-peddling in stop-and-go situations. Your suggestions will help me develop a new routine - one that I won't have to consciously think about. :hurray:

Thanks everybody - you were very gracious and kind to this newbee. :var_14:

· Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The V-Strom HOP!

Is a very short dance that occurs while mounting the tall beast!

I've got a tall, '03 with wide cases and a top case. There is no way that I am swinging my leg over.

I kick my right leg out while leaning a bit left and hop closer to the bike.
No fast kick over, but a controlled motion, you'd have to see (can't explain well).

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
No help to offer as while I lift my leg up and over the saddle like you, I can flatfoot the Wee with bent knees. But, I did want to say Damn! :yikes: never seen anything like that. Good luck getting it sorted.

· Registered
279 Posts
I'd like to do that, particularly dismounting, because my cases are very wide and my boot drags on them. However it appears to me that this would put a lot of stress on the sidestand. I don't think it's designed for that much weight. It doesn't help that I weigh 220.
I weigh 245 and I use the left peg. You can center your weight by using the handle bars so it doesn't place your entire weight on the stand. A little practice will get it sorted out for you.

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Also taller boots would help prevent bruising, but don't address the underlying problem.

· Registered
77 Posts
I weigh 245 and I use the left peg. You can center your weight by using the handle bars so it doesn't place your entire weight on the stand. A little practice will get it sorted out for you.
I was kind of thinking along the same lines but noticed that when I have had the bike on the center stand it is very easy to mount by simply stepping up on the left peg. The bike goes up on the center stand very easily ...... I'm just sayin'

· Registered
124 Posts
I use the left peg also. I got in the habit because I often have 1550s and a bass guitar strapped to the back. The peg helps me clear that stuff. I have also use the right peg but that requires a little more care.

Just be sure that your side stand is fully extended and the bike is in gear and you will have no trouble with this. If the side stand isn't fully extended, the wee tends to take a nap, using the pegs to mount the bike will surely cause that to happen if not properly extended.

· Registered
6,839 Posts
"Doctor it hurts when I do this"

Well don't do that!

On a gloomerir note: There are a few real medical conditions that have a symptom of easy bruising. If you do not remember a "wack" that corresponds to the bruise maybe its time for a work up.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Doctor it hurts when I do this"

Well don't do that!
The bumping didn't hurt in the beginning. Only later did it become painful. :eek:rig_mad:

On a gloomerir note: There are a few real medical conditions that have a symptom of easy bruising. If you do not remember a "wack" that corresponds to the bruise maybe its time for a work up.
I am in perfect health having just recently had my annual physical and came through in flying colors (for my age). The bruising is actually fading quickly and the the shin isn't so tender now. :hurray:
But yes, I will try to stop doing it, I promise. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I usually pick my right leg up and put it over the saddle and do the little hop hop thing like another poster said. It seems to work the best for me at 5'9". Have tried using the left peg to mount with but it causes my left knee to start hurting pretty fast do to the twisting motion of swinging my right leg over. The knee pain is probably related to my arthritis so I went back to the lift leg, hop, hop method.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.