StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

Just got my 2018 DL650 about a month ago (upgrade from my first bike ever, a Honda Rebel 250). I love this thing, but I have found 1 issue that is bugging.

The foot shift lever is a little high, making it difficult to downshift without lifting my foot off the rest. With my boots on, its hard to lift the toes enough for the shifter to register the release before the next down shift. I was looking at the lever to see if there's an adjustment and it looks like there is some linkage with a turn knob in the middle. Almost like it is meant to be adjustable. However, linkage usually has an extra nut at each end for tightening the linkage in place once adjusted. I could not see the ends very well due to rubber boots on the ends, so I don't know if this linkage is adjustable.

No one online is mentioning the linkage. They all seem to think I should pull the lever and change its angle, but then mention that I loose the correct angle of the shifting rod (which is where the linkage appears to be). I'm hoping someone here knows a little more about it.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
The shifter can be adjusted by an opposing thread adjuster for small adjustments, and by changing splines on the Gear Shift Link arm for greater changes.

I have attached a drawing of the gearshift. Note that it is for an older model DL650 but to my knowledge it has remained unchanged forever.

The adjuster is part #29 and is held in place by nuts #34 and #37.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've adjusted my shifter multiple times, and while it does lack the additional "locking nut" that you refer to, the design of it prevents any changes once everything is back together. You need to remove bolt #36 and then the whole assembly can be rotated to facilitate shortening/lengthening (ultimately raising or lowering your lever)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I only need to raise the lever pedal about 1/2". I'll have to play with the assembly to see which will get me that easier. Brockie, thanks for the drawing! Now that I see the drawing, adjusting the lever pedal by adjusting the link arm position should not have a negative impact on the components.

Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Take the bolt out of the splined shaft exiting the case pull the inner lever off and reposition on the splines
and reinstall bolt. Takes no more than 5 minutes 2 do.

·
Registered
543 Posts
#34 is shown as LH on the end of the discription. Which means left hand thread. So on the adjuster the nut thats lower to the ground
is the LH thread end the upper nut is Standard thread.

So upper nut = righty tighty -lefty loosy / lower nut = lefty tighty - righty loosy :wink2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts