StromTrooper banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ditto. Except I wait for cars to collect at the intersection first then gently lay day my bike to maximize entertainment value.
Thank you for the "funny". I have come close to entertaining at an intersection, but I try to plan my stop very "strategically". I put my foot/feet down behind the pegs. I have the relocation kit for the pegs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When coming to a stop I always put my feet down in front of the pegs. Then push against the pegs to fold them back some. Then my legs are more vertical and closer to the position I prefer. I do have a 33" inseam so that helps also.
Ditto, and end up with my feet behind the pegs due to my 30" inseam.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with all. What Im really wondering is how anyone shorter than me can ride this back at all. I realize its the nature of the beast, but im 6' 32 inseam and am wondering how anyone else shorter can ride this bike. Keep thinking about lowering a bit but not sure how that will affect the centerstand.
At a 30" inseam, I had to lower it 3/4". It certainly helped get my feet planted at a stop, but as you commented, getting it on or off the center stand I installed has to be planned whenever possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with all. What Im really wondering is how anyone shorter than me can ride this back at all. I realize its the nature of the beast, but im 6' 32 inseam and am wondering how anyone else shorter can ride this bike. Keep thinking about lowering a bit but not sure how that will affect the centerstand.
I am 5'-9" with a 30" inseam. Have the low seat. Makes it more comfortable at stops that can be off- camber or uneven pavement, etc. I sometimes miss the roomier standard seat when I want to move around.

·
Premium Member
2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure
41 Posts
Hi all i was wondering if it just me or is the location of the foot pegs on the v strom kind of out of wack as i find trying to place my foot on the ground when stopping as if they get in the way and you have sought manoeuvre your leg around to place foot on the ground has one had this experience? Any help would be appreciated or mybe im and old fart now 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
No, it's not just you my fellow old fart stromtrooper. It is a well-known fact that the Wee foot pegs sit right where your ankles* shins* calves* want to be when your feet are on the ground lol. I installed the Adventuretech foot peg lowering and foot control extension kit on my 2020 Wee XT ADV which lowered the pegs and inch and moved them forward an no inch which gives me a super comfortable touring position. I had hoped with the pegs forward an inch that it might alleviate the foot position issue while stopped, but I also have humongous IMS Adventure footpegs so I don't notice a lot of difference. I do absolutely love riding with the lowered and forward pegs (which are like footboards LOL) but when I come to a stop and put my feet down it's "shins beware!" Quality mid to high boots help. So don't feel alone LOL!
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
22 Posts
what are the options here for larger foot pegs?

I have alread yinstalled the adventuretech control lowering kit. is there a longer than stock rear brake lever available? I still feel the lever is too close to where I want it

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, it's a PITA, but if you think about it: the designers put the pegs right where they should be to be where the 'average' rider's feet would naturally go using the geometric triangle. I'm on the tallish side with long legs, so when I put my feet down to the ground, the pegs hit me in the back of the calves. It was designed to be comfortable and functional while riding, not stopped at a light!
I can't stand the placement and almost did not buy the V2 because of this.
I frequently use the passenger pegs when riding long distances just to change up the riding position and redistribute my weight on the seat( Corbin).
I bet a lot of takers if anyone came up with rearsets for this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I replaced the stock pegs with some cheap ebay dirt bike pegs on both my DL650 and DRZ400S. They are cast iron I believe and strong. They don't pivot or shine but have good traction and mud doesn't accumulate.... they work and do the job. As I remember they were about $22 per set. Had to modify the springs a bit, but they fold and spring back fine. Pivot Pegz are over $160 per set, and the other options may be less than $160 but still a good chunk of change. Had a friend machine up a set of "highway pegs" that bolt to the engine guard to stretch out with on long trips. They use the old Bates style folding pegs used for dirt track racing. They WERE expensive.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
what are the options here for larger foot pegs?

I have alread yinstalled the adventuretech control lowering kit. is there a longer than stock rear brake lever available? I still feel the lever is too close to where I want it
Larger pegs will shorten the distance between the peg and the gear lever & the peg and the brake lever.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I already have the adventuretech control lowering kit. I would still like to see if I can find a longer brake lever though
I know there are folding shift levers, but have yet to find any longer, folding brake levers and would like to have one as well. My problem is that I have a 2011 and a lot of items are unavailable for this older model. My Altrider skidplate, "crash bars" are no longer available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
trying to order some footpegs now, are they standard size as far as the mounting? or something else special? links to any in particular? I have some oversized IMS pegs I am happy with on my DRZ

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You could try your DRZ pegs on your DL.

I fitted KLR pegs they just needed a small hole drilled to get the return spring to work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts