StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i was wondering if it just me or is the location of the foot pegs on the v strom kind of out of wack as i find trying to place my foot on the ground when stopping as if they get in the way and you have sought manoeuvre your leg around to place foot on the ground has one had this experience? Any help would be appreciated or mybe im and old fart now 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Hi all i was wondering if it just me or is the location of the foot pegs on the v strom kind of out of wack as i find trying to place my foot on the ground when stopping as if they get in the way and you have sought manoeuvre your leg around to place foot on the ground has one had this experience? Any help would be appreciated or mybe im and old fart now 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
No you're right they stick out right where you want to put your foot down.

I only put my left foot down at stops usually. What I do is stick my foot out farther (to clear the peg) which means I need to lean the bike a bit more.

Vendor
No you're right they stick out right where you want to put your foot down.

I only put my left foot down at stops usually. What I do is stick my foot out farther (to clear the peg) which means I need to lean the bike as bit more.
Ditto. Except I wait for cars to collect at the intersection first then gently lay day my bike to maximize entertainment value.

Registered
YES YES YES.

To me it's only the V2, I did not have that problem with my wee.

Reactions: Sam trooper 65

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree. I swapped the front pegs for the factory wide off- road versions and they stick out more. My 2016 R1200RS was the same. I think it has to do with the rider triangle Geometry that helps make the bike feel comfortable.
I think i might take a teaspoon of cement and harden up 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ just might try and get used to it 馃憤

Registered
2014 DL650A
I agree, it's a PITA, but if you think about it: the designers put the pegs right where they should be to be where the 'average' rider's feet would naturally go using the geometric triangle. I'm on the tallish side with long legs, so when I put my feet down to the ground, the pegs hit me in the back of the calves. It was designed to be comfortable and functional while riding, not stopped at a light!

Registered
Hi there, I am also an old fart, but my DL1000 keeps the old bit at bay. I have read numerous comments about this subject, plus I think it depends on the indivuduals height. A short rider obviously will have more interference from the foot pegs, than some one with more generous leg length. I am in the latter bracket, and have the ability to spread em easier. Occasionly I do get a reminder that foot pegs are down there.

Administrator
Queensland, Australia
If you think a V-Strom is bad you should try a BMW R100GS! The pegs are always in the way.
Then to make things really interesting BMW put the side stand so far forward that you need a 34" inseam to open it - always remembering that it is spring loaded to retract with no weight on it - meaning that you have to continue to hold it out as you lean the bike onto it.
I once saw another BMW Dakar where the owner had used an old motor mower starter rope and handle with brackets to operate his side stand.:D I guess that he was vertically challenged.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, it's a PITA, but if you think about it: the designers put the pegs right where they should be to be where the 'average' rider's feet would naturally go using the geometric triangle. I'm on the tallish side with long legs, so when I put my feet down to the ground, the pegs hit me in the back of the calves. It was designed to be comfortable and functional while riding, not stopped at a light!
True as 馃憤

Registered
I love most things about the V2 EXCEPT the foot pegs. I almost went to wearing enduro boots just to protect my lower legs. I've seen a bunch of kits for adjusting the pegs up or down. I'd love to see something to move them back a couple of inches.

Premium Member
When coming to a stop I always put my feet down in front of the pegs. Then push against the pegs to fold them back some. Then my legs are more vertical and closer to the position I prefer. I do have a 33" inseam so that helps also.

Reactions: Sam trooper 65

Registered
When coming to a stop I always put my feet down in front of the pegs. Then push against the pegs to fold them back some.
Yeah, I do the same. It's just an annoyance that they keep hitting in the back of the leg or in my shins if I put my feet down behind them. They are just so perfectly in the wrong spot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that lowering the bike 1/2" to 5/8" front and rear will lessen the annoyance of the peg placement.
I have a 32 inch inseam so lowering the bike is not an option. I really like the clearance and love everything else about the bike. I'd just really like to move the pegs back by about 2 inches (5cm).

Registered
I agree with all. What Im really wondering is how anyone shorter than me can ride this back at all. I realize its the nature of the beast, but im 6' 32 inseam and am wondering how anyone else shorter can ride this bike. Keep thinking about lowering a bit but not sure how that will affect the centerstand.

Registered
2019 DL 650
I agree with all. What Im really wondering is how anyone shorter than me can ride this back at all. I realize its the nature of the beast, but im 6' 32 inseam and am wondering how anyone else shorter can ride this bike. Keep thinking about lowering a bit but not sure how that will affect the centerstand.
Installing lowering links will make it a little harder to get the bike on the centerstand. I just picked up a '19 Wee from a gent who had lowering links on the bike. Had to give it a real good push/pull to get it up. Got the bike home and put the stock links back on and all it good. Much easier to get on the centerstand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts