StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife was watching the Food channel when I saw they had a little advertisement, for a show starting in August. I showed a number of motorcyclist who ride from through the country from restaurant to restaurant. I noticed the bikes appeared to be ADV rider types on Stroms and GS's. Might be interesting. I enjoy finding new destinations and eateries.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
It may be a re-run or possibly an all new series that Alton Brown did last season. Alton Brown does the very entertaining show on the Food Channel called 'Good Eats'. I am not into cooking shows but this guy can be very entertaining.
If I remember the cross country show was/is called 'Feasting on Asphalt'. I watched several episodes and it was pretty good with brief portions of it actually focusing on the riding. Generally they tried to stay off the super slabs and experience the food history of 'Americana'.
AB is a motorcycle enthusiast and I forget what model of Bimmer he was piloting last season but it seems to me it was their flag ship road bike. Towards the end of the seriess he dumped it on a gravel road avoiding a bunny and broke a rib and had to ride in the chase car the rest of the series. In any case, I think the whole crew was on BMWs of one type or another.
In any case, I enjoyed the show, some of you might also. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got this from Wikipedia:

"Brown's website states that he will record six more episodes of Feasting on Asphalt during April and May of 2007, and will air beginning August 4. For the second season, Alton will trace the length of the Mississippi River."

Can't wait.

Rick

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Got this from Wikipedia:

"Brown's website states that he will record six more episodes of Feasting on Asphalt during April and May of 2007, and will air beginning August 4. For the second season, Alton will trace the length of the Mississippi River."

Can't wait.

Rick
That's awesome. The first four installments of Feasting on Asphalt were good. Definitely looking forward to more.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sounds something like we did back in the 60's. We rode "TT". Tavern to Tavern. Not very safe, but we had a heck of a lot of fun. There should have been survivor pin issued!!
Willie

·
press any key to continue
124 Posts
After watching the first "Feasting on Asphalt" series I took a trip to see some of the sites they wandered through. I went to Lou's Cafe in Sunbright, TN which was a hoot. The owner (who's husband sadly died recently) was there. I asked her how Alton & crew found her cafe. She said they were just passing through & stopped in. She said that after asking permission to film they made themselves at home, pretty much taking over the kitchen. Alton even washed dishes & cleaned up before leaving.

The food at Lou's was good home cooking. Nothing spectacular, but a very comfortable & fun place to visit. They were happy that I came, being the person traveling the furthest to visit them so far (approx. 250 miles)

I also went to the Sander's Inn in Corbin, KY on the way home. It is the original restaurant that started Kentucky Fried Chicken. Today it is pretty much a normal KFC with a small museum spread out through the eating areas.

I might make another trip this year and try to visit some other sites like the German restaurant in IN, but I doubt if I'll order the brain sandwich. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I loved the original four episodes of Feasting.

Alton Brown is especially brilliant when he's super relaxed and spontanious... and this show and the whole motorcycle connection really brings out the best in him.

To me, it's television at it's best... when a person is trying to share their genuine passion... while minimizing as much as possible the inevitable scripting and contrivance.

I'm looking for to the next installments.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Inverted1 says...
I might make another trip this year and try to visit some other sites like the German restaurant in IN, but I doubt if I'll order the brain sandwich.

LOL! I remember that episode. That was funny, I don't care who you are! :-D

·
Registered
80 Posts
After watching the first four episodes, I thought they should edit it three different ways--one for the Food Channel, a motorcycle-focused trip for Speed and a travel-oriented version for the Travel Channel. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to e-mail AB with my brilliant suggestions.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Being rather inspired by Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" series, I'm always looking for "home cooking" type diners and cafes when traveling, rather than the choke-and-puke slop shoots you find on the Interstates. One thing I've noticed in 99% of the small towns I pass through -- just about every diner you come across will be closed on Mondays. I don't know what it is, but if you want to eat while traveling two lane roads through the countryside, on Monday's anyway you're stuck with chain restaurants or -- gasp -- fast food.

In my trip log, I always note what I ate, how I liked it, and sometimes even the name of the server if the conversation was interesting. Who knows, some day I may be famous and have to write my autobiography -- that kind of stuff could come in handy. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts