StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back on the Open Road…..

This will be the first time to try an ongoing ride report. I hope to post something every day or so….. Conversations about landmarks, the country side in general, the people we meet, all of this and more as we ride en route to each destination.

Flagstaff, AZ is home and we will be riding for several weeks…traveling about 5000 miles with lots of stops in between. Finishing packing today…. Meeting Heavy-H early in the morning and some breakfast before leaving town.

I think planning for such a trip is about a quarter of the excitement and fun. What to take and not take, and yes, we can do without this or that. The motorcycle is ready: new sprockets, chain, tires, brakes, new visors on both helmets, filters etc. Yep, I’ve also learned not to leave home without taking the AAA card after running out of gas in the Nevada desert a few years back.

This year we will be going to the 2011 V-Strom rally in Boise, ID. We will stop first in Springdale/Zion, UT for a few days meeting with friends before riding up to Salt Lake City and enjoying the hospitality of 2mstone & Beverly. I hear there is a BBQ in the works!

Our riding buddy Heavy-H can’t make the rally in Boise this year… but is riding as far as Springdale/Zion with us and spending the night before heading back to Flagstaff.

· Registered
443 Posts
I've been wanting a ride ever since my crew cancelled the Alaska trip AND the Boise rally. Let me know when you will be in Utah and I might ride out and see you, show you the good stuff around here.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
July 10th

Mer and I met Heavy-H this morning at Wildflower for breakfast and coffee. The summer monsoon rain started this week and usually begins as the day heats up…. But this morning we awoke to clouds and light rain as we loaded the motorcycle.

Riding Hwy 89 North, you pass through the western most part of the Painted Desert. Later Hwy 89 is framed by Marble Canyon on your left and the Echo Cliffs on the right.

The call of the open road…. All of us who ride get that feeling. But I was thinking while Mer and I were traveling up Hwy 89 on our first leg of this trip….. looking at the morning sky, with all the vapor trails….. Many don’t motor across our country much any more…

It seems more and more people are flying over many of the states. “what a grind… driving eight hours” ….lets face it flying, is very convenient…. (And less expensive when gas is almost $4.00 or more a gallon). You board your plane and in a few hours your having dinner on a beach watching the sunset thousands of miles away.

Navajo bridge….The new bridge was built in 1993 to replace the 1929 bridge that was only 18 ft. wide…. Scary with today’s traffic…. Trucks/RVs etc. You can park and walk out onto the old bridge, look down into Marble Canyon and the Colorado River

On a motorcycle, for us, freedom is a road trip. We’ve all heard the cliché, “ It’s the journey”…. Yes, for Meredith and I, it is the excursion and exploring roadside America with a perspective of seeing changing landscapes on the wide viewing screen of a motorcycle… and the bugs-splattered on the windscreen or helmet visor ☺

The simple pleasures of the road…. The road side attractions and distractions of red-rock bluffs, funky road side curio shops and billboards beckoning us to visit…..

The scenery displays Mother Nature’s majesty….. does the world seem better when viewed from a motorcycle?

· Registered
31 Posts
I miss being on the road and am anxious to try it with my Wee. Me and my buddy were in Zion/Bryce (among others) late April, awesome place, great to be on the road and just marvel at this beautiful country.

Have fun and stay safe.

· Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Sure a flight is faster, maybe cheaper as well. I'll post pictures of the Plane Cabin next time I fly and we'll compare my scenic adventure to your's Base Camp!! :green_lol: NO NO NO NO Wouldn't trade to road for a flight, your photo's are proof .

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
July 11th

WE DID NOTHING TODAY! How great was that…. We practiced the “Art of Living”…. Nothing pressing. Our very close friends from Flagstaff, Tania & Patrick joined us in Springdale this afternoon…. We had breakfast with Heavy-H before he headed back to Flagstaff…. And then, we just enjoyed the day…. Hiked/walked around some…. And had a wonderful afternoon drinking wine, telling stories and enjoying friends…… It was a wonderful day! I encourage you…. Find time to do nothing important…. Practice the “Art of Living”….

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
July 12th – 14th

Tuesday was a full and exciting day…. We’ll let the pictures speak for themselves… Hey, doing an “on going ride report” isn’t easy… too many distractions

My lovely bride…. Meredith!

Wednesday…. Time to leave Springdale/Zion and say our goodbyes

Riding back through Zion National Park, we turned north back onto Hwy 89 ….riding along the eastern slopes of the Tushar and the Wasatch Mtn ranges, heading to Salt Lake to visit and stay with 2mstone and Beverly

I’m glad Ken was cooking…. I don’t have a “food handlers license” …….Meredith and I want to thank Ken and Beverly for their wonderful hospitality!

2mstone suggested we stop at the Hill Aerospace Museum on our way to Boise…. The ride from Salt Lake to Boise…. Pretty much Freeway driving…. with lots of wind and mixed with trucks….

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
July 15th

I should title this RR from here on…… “Driving Under the Influence”

I enjoy immensely when we stop…. shut off the bike, and dismount. Then when we remove and pull off our helmets, I’m greeted with a big smile and kiss. ……“Driving while under the influence”

We got around late… had to do some laundry. I also had talked to Meredith about buying her a new helmet…. I called around in Boise to locate a dealer who carried the Shoei Quest….. They had Mer’s size and color we were looking for…. They even offered to ship her older helmet back home…. Doesn’t get much better than that!
We road to the town of Eagle (very pretty community) and somehow ended up at a winery off Hwy 16 just outside Emmett, ID … for the life of me I can’t remember the name of the place… “under the influence”

We turned onto Hwy 52 in Emmett, riding past Black Canyon Dam and Reservoir. At the junction of Horseshoe Bend we turn onto Hwy 55 to have a late lunch in Banks. (do I want my own sandwich or split one with Mer… hummm, what do I want to drink??? – (“under the influence”)
This road was very busy… lots of traffic driving north. But beautiful country following the Payette River.

Do we ride on to Lake Cascade … do we head back???? …..questions, “under the influence”

We arrived back at the hotel in time to register for the rally… do I want to clean up first or have a cold adult beverage???? “under the influence”

Dinner at Happy Trails this evening…..

Dessert…? Yes, no…
All day, I’ve been “Driving under the Influence”

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
July 16th

Saturday, everyone involved in the V-Strom rally is here by now and today is a ride up into the Sawtooth Mtn.
Most riders were meeting at Happy Trails fairly early…. But, it’s not easy getting serious about riding…. Until you’ve had a descent cup of caffeine. Rolling out of bed on this gorgeous day…. Where there is coffee, there’s hope.

The morning gave way to riding over to Happy Trails to have the new fork brace put on… which I won in a raffle last night at dinner! We’ll give the new fork brace a good workout on the road today.

Mer had me chuckling… “look at the bikes in the hospital”

We left Boise and rode along Hwy 21 towards Lucky Peak Res. through Idaho City and up to Lowman. We decided after looking at the time… to turn towards Garden Valley and into Banks riding back to Boise on Hwy 55

You climb quickly through some wonderful twisty roads…. I think I felt the mornings coffee sloshing in my stomach!

South Fork of the Payette River….

Back to the hotel to clean up for tonight’s events…. Off to Bend tomorrow

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
July 17th / Sunday

Up early, packed and ready to get some coffee…. then on our way up Interstate 84 to Baker Oregon. We would hook up with Hwy 7 west, which connects to Hwy 26 towards John Day….. our destination…. Bend

I have to say riding through farming country early in the morning…. captivating, the visual contrast of the shadows on the country side…. the smells of the fields (and farm animals…. hum, ya…) is sensational. We have seen farms in the middle of nowhere, miles from the closest town/city. We need to be thankful for farmers… and those who carry on and wish to farm the land…. Do schools still have Future Farmers of America, FFA?

Baker, OR and some breakfast

We turned off Hwy 26 onto Hwy 19 for a few miles to go see the John Day Fossil Beds and walk around the old homestead

We came upon a shoe tree just outside the small town of Mitchell. We stopped in their park for lunch…. a very popular spot with the town folk…. and pets

Arrived in Bend a little earlier than we thought… so Mer suggested lets go have a micro brew…. She’s good!

Time to go see the new in-laws……

· $Whatever$
1,602 Posts
You guys rock..............

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
July 20th Thought for today…. “Carry a notepad and a camera”

In Dallas, Oregon this evening getting around to meet up with a friend of Meredith’s for dinner. The last couple of days were filled with family stuff in Bend

Meredith’s brother and sister-in-law drove down from Washington State …. It is their dad’s 91st birthday in just a few days… so, It was party time!

The ride over from Bend is just beautiful…. The forest is green and dense…. I can imagine walking just a few feet out into the woods and I'd be lost without a compass!

Tomorrow we ride over to the Oregon coast….

· Registered
234 Posts
Glad you guys enjoyed Bend :thumbup: Please come back anytime... and I'll show you all the really great roads you guys missed :biggrinjester: Anyways, it was great meeting you guys at the rally, ride safe and enjoy a long and happy life together.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.