StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A few comments: I stopped at the Toronto Bike show and grabbed one of those "Foggy" things that goes in the helmut. I don't know if I got ripped off as I have never seen one for sale but the $20 including taxes didn't sound like a bad deal. I had read comments saying it worked really well. I have to agree! I went out for a ride today.. did a hundred and some odd km. Last time I rode temps started at -3 celcius and went all the way up to 5 celcius andthe fogging shield was a continuous problem. . Today it was 5 all the time I was out. This time not a hint of fogging. Didn't matter what I did.. no fogging!

I discovered a few other things today: We have had several snow falls over the last month. Had a few inches of snow in the last part of the week. The main roads are all fine with some wet spots but gravel roads are a different story. They end up keeping a cover of ice and/or snow on them. I also discovered that the Stock Trail Wings aren't very good in snow at all! In a side trip I had to drive thought a road that had a few drifts up to 6 inches deep. The Trail wings hate that stuff! Absulutely no traction in it at all!

Is there such a thing as a snow tire for a bike, or at least a tire that might be like an all-season car tire but better in snow?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Do you wear glasses?

I've looked at the Foggy but wondered if it would interfere with the way my glasses sat on my nose.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do you wear glasses?

I've looked at the Foggy but wondered if it would interfere with the way my glasses sat on my nose.
I use a couple of drops of Fog Tech on each side of my glasses on cold days (like this morning at 20ºF. Absolutely no fogging. None on the helmet either (Scorpion EXO-700). I keep the little bottle in the tank bag and just spread it with my finger. It dries almost immediately.

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only wear glasses for reading but pretty much always wear sunglasses when outside. I did have them on today and had no issues at all with them.

..Tom

Do you wear glasses?

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Cheap fog defeater

Soap. If you are shaving in a humid atmosphere, you can just swab a little bit of soap on the mirror, and you will immediately see that soap prevents condensation from fogging the mirror. It works the same way on your face shield, windshield, whatever.

An anecdote. I was in a rather primitive school bus in Alaska with a bunch of other old fart tourists, and the windows kept fogging up from our breath. None of us wanted to stop breathing, so we passed around paper towels and swabbed windows when we wanted to see. Clear patches lasted about five seconds. I got out my shaving soap, squeezed out a gob about as big as the smallest joint of my pinky, and smeared it on my window. End of problem. Someone asked why my window wasn't fogging, and I held up the can of BurmaShave (or whatever it was). He asked if he could use some. I handed over the can, then he asked how much to use. I replied, "Use enough mousse to shave a mouse". He squirted out an enormous handful, almost enough to shave a moose (I was smiling while I watched this, you understand) and turned his window into a horrible mass of foam, which ran all over the place, him included. He asked what to do now, and someone retorted "Use it to clean out your EARS!"

So if you don't want to spend $20 on this stuff, or $5 on Rain-X, get a tiny drop of any kind of soap, and the fog will not be a problem.

Red Skelton knew this a very long time ago, and worked his way out of a jam with the information.

Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
Soap. If you are shaving in a humid atmosphere, you can just swab a little bit of soap on the mirror, and you will immediately see that soap prevents condensation from fogging the mirror. It works the same way on your face shield, windshield, whatever.

An anecdote. I was in a rather primitive school bus in Alaska with a bunch of other old fart tourists, and the windows kept fogging up from our breath. None of us wanted to stop breathing, so we passed around paper towels and swabbed windows when we wanted to see. Clear patches lasted about five seconds. I got out my shaving soap, squeezed out a gob about as big as the smallest joint of my pinky, and smeared it on my window. End of problem. Someone asked why my window wasn't fogging, and I held up the can of BurmaShave (or whatever it was). He asked if he could use some. I handed over the can, then he asked how much to use. I replied, "Use enough mousse to shave a mouse". He squirted out an enormous handful, almost enough to shave a moose (I was smiling while I watched this, you understand) and turned his window into a horrible mass of foam, which ran all over the place, him included. He asked what to do now, and someone retorted "Use it to clean out your EARS!"

So if you don't want to spend $20 on this stuff, or $5 on Rain-X, get a tiny drop of any kind of soap, and the fog will not be a problem.

Red Skelton knew this a very long time ago, and worked his way out of a jam with the information.

Keith
Also the dishwasher additive for drying dishes works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts