StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My helmet is an HJC, bought about 10 years ago. So I'm shopping for a helmet now, it's about time to replace my old one.
One thing that really bothers me is that my helmet gets foggy, it doesn't need to be too cold. Today was between 56-59 F, and I had to frequently open the visor a little bit to ventilate and clean the fog.
- I wonder if you have the same problem and if you somehow fixed that with another helmet?
- Do you know of helmets that have a better ventilation to prevent that?

Maybe it is my nose, but anyway I decided to bring this question to the forum.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Any helmet with a pinlock visor will save you. It is night and day the difference. Utterly fantastic is how i would describe it.

I have a Nolan N90 and love it. Its a flip-up with sun visor and pinlock. It never fogs up. The pinlock lasts about a year but i got almost 2 out of the first one.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any helmet with a pinlock visor will save you. It is night and day the difference. Utterly fantastic is how i would describe it.

I have a Nolan N90 and love it. Its a flip-up with sun visor and pinlock. It never fogs up. The pinlock lasts about a year but i got almost 2 out of the first one.
+1 on pinlocks. The only 'gimmick' I've found that actually works on fog. (Those fog sprays are for hunger... I've tried just about all of them).
Shame that the helmets I use the most don't have them available...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think Scorpion helmets have fog free shields but I am a big fan of the Pinkock system too. Absolutely no fog at all with them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the "pinlock" advice. I never heard about that before and I'll search more information about that on internet.
Does pinlock goes with any helmet or only specific brands / models?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a Scorpion EXO 1100 with the "antifog" visor... no bueno. I also have a Shoei Neotec with a pinlock visor and it is FANTASTIC!!!! I've had KBC, HJC, 2 Scorpions, and this Shoei is the greatest helmet ever!

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
HJC + pin lock = :thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the "pinlock" advice. I never heard about that before and I'll search more information about that on internet.
Does pinlock goes with any helmet or only specific brands / models?
Looks like they are available for most of the major manufacturer but only available on specific models. Link below shows the models available with the pinlock system in the US.

Welke Pinlock lens is er voor jouw helm?

I also have a pinlock visor on my Nolan and it just works. Now one of my requirements when I purchase a helmet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
An alternative to the Pinlock is Fogcity.

Like the Pinlock, it adds a second layer of plastic between you and the shield to create an insulating air space which prevents the fogging.
Unlike the pinlock, it's a peel-and-stick so once it's in, it's in.

Pro: it works and it's relatively cheap. It's available in different tints.
Cons: you can't install and remove it over and over... Once and done.

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
There are a couple of ways to deal with visor fogging:

--Improved ventilation to get the moist breath out of there.
--Better interior breath deflector to keep the moist breath away from the shield (I tried a winter aero skirt under the chin to keep cold air from my lower face, and it just sealed in the moist breath.)
--double pane shield...Pinlock or Fog City, or a snowmobile face shield if that helmet maker also makes snowmobile helmets and the shield fits.

The no-fog coatings inside some brands of face shields lose their performance if you clean them in any unapproved way---and they never work long for me, anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another vote for the Fogcity; my Shoei didn't come with pinlocks and I didn't want to spend the money for a new shield so this was the best option. Works great for little $$.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
When I was more financially restricted, I had a fog city. Worked rather well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why Pin Lock Dies

Somebody said it lasts one year. Mine, in a HJC CK 16, is not as great as it was center front, near nose. I also have a plastic magnifier between the Pin Lock lens and the shield and thought that was the problem. When the Pin Lock wears out, what are the symptoms? thanks, All.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just grabbed an Icon Variant carbon fiber helmet. The helmet pretty much never fogs, but on very cold mornings it may get some condensation on the shield. I overcome that with the breathbox that is custom for the variant.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...I also have a plastic magnifier between the Pin Lock lens and the shield ..
What the heck is that?

... When the Pin Lock wears out, what are the symptoms? thanks, All.
The rubbery seal on my first one came off and the pin lock sort of fell out once. I put it back. It never came out again, but I was nervous and replaced the whole system. I wanted to move to a dark smoke shield with clear insert. My clear shield with dark insert had some annoying light leakage around the top edge. I seldom ride at night, and just ride with the shield up when I have to.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts