StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a FogCity insert on my clear Shoei shield and found it glared too much when riding anywhere near the direction of the sun. Off it comes.
Does the pin-lock arrangement available from Shoei have the same problem?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got tired of fighting the fogging in my RF1000 so I went out and bought a Scorpion EXO 900 modular. No more fogging and the helmet works great. I'll keep my Shoei for the warmer months as it vents better, but the Scorpion did the trick on keeping the fogging lens at bay.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I got tired of fighting the fogging in my RF1000 so I went out and bought a Scorpion EXO 900 modular. No more fogging and the helmet works great. I'll keep my Shoei for the warmer months as it vents better, but the Scorpion did the trick on keeping the fogging lens at bay.
I had the opposite problem. With 4 different Scorpion helmets over 7 years, there was no way I could ride in the rain and see where I was going. Be prepared for the anti-fog coating to wear off rather quickly and I'm the kind of guy who changes shields a few times a year.

A Shoei with a pinlock fixed my rain and fog problem completely.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tried the Fog City, pulled it off and went with Pinlock. The Pinlock is definitely more expensive but it worked.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The Pinlock is definitely more expensive but it worked.
You don't get a secondary reflection when riding into the sun?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You don't get a secondary reflection when riding into the sun?
Any double lens system will do that under certain lighting conditions. It's easier to deal with that than fogged vision.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is there a breath deflector available to deflect moisture away from the face shield? Is there a way to improve ventilation up from the bottom of the shield and out the top to carry moisture away?

I've had good results with Clarity Defog-It antifog stuff. I don't think Shoei makes dual-pane snowmobile shields for their helmets--if they do, consider those (works great on my Scorpion).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tmcgee and Appalachian Rider which pin-lock insert do y'all have? I'm thinking the clear on a clear shield would be best.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pinlock

I have used the pin-lock system with Nolan helmets in the swamps of western Oregon and found they work much better than the fog-city product.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
tmcgee and Appalachian Rider which pin-lock insert do y'all have? I'm thinking the clear on a clear shield would be best.
Clear is first choice for me. I ride with shield up most of the time.

I also have an amber and a yellow insert which I have not tried and a dark grey, which is too dark for my taste except when riding into the sun.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Any double lens system will do that under certain lighting conditions. It's easier to deal with that than fogged vision.
What's wrong with just opening the shield a crack to allow some ventilation when it starts to fog up? And if you are moving at any speed it usually won't need even that. Sitting at a stop light I usually open the shield until it's time to go.

In one extreme case -- on a trip to AK riding in very cold, rainy weather -- I laid a piece of zip tie over the chin bar and closed the shield on my Scorpion. The resulting tiny crack was plenty to prevent fogging.

This seems simpler, cheaper and safer than introducing another layer of plastic to look through. I find reflections really distracting.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I won't buy a helmet that won't accept a Pinlock system. There are lots of conditions where fogging makes it unsafe to ride. Often cracking the shield open allows moisture on the inside making it even worse. I ride in any weather, even well below zero, I get no fogging with the Pinlock and no noticeable reflections on sunny days.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What's wrong with just opening the shield a crack to allow some ventilation when it starts to fog up? And if you are moving at any speed it usually won't need even that. Sitting at a stop light I usually open the shield until it's time to go.

In one extreme case -- on a trip to AK riding in very cold, rainy weather -- I laid a piece of zip tie over the chin bar and closed the shield on my Scorpion. The resulting tiny crack was plenty to prevent fogging.

This seems simpler, cheaper and safer than introducing another layer of plastic to look through. I find reflections really distracting.
For me, in heavy rain and cold/freezing weather, sometimes at night, Scorpion helmets suck even though they are great otherwise and I've been wearing them since 2004. I want the shield closed tight and the rain outside, not streaming down the inside and also covering both sides of my glasses.

I'm staying with the Shoei with pinlock under those conditions. Somebody else was having a problem with reflections, not me.

I inherited a brand new Shoei from a dead friend and I love it.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
I've given up trying to make a motorcycle helmet work in snowmobile weather, even the conventional double pane shield didn't always cut it for me on my last snowmobile helmet, I need to replace it, I went thru last winter without one

anything I get will have a heated visor, but how many peeps ride in blizzards & noreasters like me :yikes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
anything I get will have a heated visor, but how many peeps ride in blizzards & noreasters like me :yikes:
You're one of a kind in that department, for sure! :thumbup:

Scorpion makes a heated shield for the EXO-700 and 400. Not sure about other brands.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
I bought a Pinlock for my wife's Shoei XR1000. Unfortunately, everytime the visor is lifted it dislodges the Pinlock as the Pinlock drags across the helmet.

A waste of money.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've got a pinlock shield on my x-11 shoei, and it works, no doubt about it. When you are moving, you can always crack the shield, but if it's really cold and/or rainy, the moment you stop or slow down you start fogging pretty hard.

For whatever reason, my clear insert never really seats properly, and is hard to keep properly sealed against the shield. The dark smoke shield seats perfectly, and somehow doesn't cause the same problem. Clear is still infinitely better than the lack of a pinlock, and I've been out near freezing in rain with a pinlock in and would have been stuck by the roadside without it.

Opening the shield is okay until it's pouring :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
You're one of a kind in that department, for sure! :thumbup:

Scorpion makes a heated shield for the EXO-700 and 400. Not sure about other brands.
The EXO 900 also can be had with a heated shield. The helmet I bought was actually set up that way and I took it off and installed a regular shield.

I guess I'll be set if I ever buy a snowmobile:green_lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
For whatever reason, my clear insert never really seats properly, and is hard to keep properly sealed against the shield. The dark smoke shield seats perfectly, and somehow doesn't cause the same problem. Clear is still infinitely better than the lack of a pinlock, and I've been out near freezing in rain with a pinlock in and would have been stuck by the roadside without it.

Opening the shield is okay until it's pouring :)
I also have had problems with my pinlock lense not sealing well on the bottom. It still helps but it's not perfect. I think if they seal well they are just about fogproof.

I haven't had any problems with the sun when looking through the double lenses of my pinlock shield.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts