StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i bought some $40 fog lights at the auto parts store, and mounted them to the bike. I thought I was cool, but after riding with them on for a few hours, after stopping, my bike would not start! is there enough power in the stock alternator to run extra lights (2 55W bulbs)? my bike is a 2002 DL 1000. any ideas??

·
Registered
202 Posts
The important question is: How much current to they draw? You may or may not have enough spare output on the alternator to run them. You may also have a bad battery or a bad alternator, or other problem.

I'd suggest first looking at the package they came in to find the draw, in watts. I'd also suggest the first electrical farkle that anyone adds is a digital voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
is there enough power in the stock alternator to run extra lights (2 55W bulbs)? my bike is a 2002 DL 1000. any ideas??
Barely. From what I've read here the '02 1000 has a 350 watt alternator and has around 75 to 100 watts extra available at about 5,000 rpm. Lower RPM means less extra.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You either had a weak battery to start with or you are drawing too much current and will kill any battery that is in there, probably the latter.

On a Strom if you are going to add electrical accessories, you have to monitor them. The only real practical way is to install a voltmeter you can see while you ride. If your voltage drops below what the battery reads at rest, you are drawing too much current and have to cut back.

On my bike if the electrical system is fully happy it reads 14.5 volts when the bike is running. (I believe my Wee and your Vee have the same electrical output.) I can crank on electric jackets and heated grips until I start to see the voltage drop. I can run 1 electric jacket and heated grips without a problem. That's a lot of heat for the rider. But if I add a second electric jacket I'm using too much. Then the voltage drops pretty fast from 14-something to 12-something. 12-anything I don't like for longer than I spend sitting at a stoplight.

Get a voltmeter you can see while riding. If you don't want to do that, you can temporarily rig up any old voltmeter you might have in your toolbox with duct tape to evaluate your electrical system.

Good luck with your electrics.

·
Registered
148 Posts
2 @ 55watts is really too much if you do stop and go riding. Only on the road at speed will it really be enough. I dropped my bulbs down to 20watts each and no more problems. Idle with voltage @ 13.5 give or take. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I run PIAA 004x drive lights on my 650 with 35W bulbs. I run the lights all day long for visibility so someone doesn't do a left hand turn in front of me. There's only about 100W of free power available. So, if I have to turn on the electric grips I leave them on low. If I need to use the electric vest & grips, I turn off the lights. Can't run more that 2 items at once here. Tourmaster Synergy carbon fiber vest=52W. Symtec grips=36W. PIAA 004x=70W. Garmin zumo=6W.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drawing too much power...

thanks for the replies, I guess I need smaller bulbs. the lights aren't actually for fog at all, just to have a "triangle" of light to make me more visible. the voltmeter is a good idea... i may want to add accessories in the future. for now, it's smaller bulbs!

·
Registered
430 Posts
thanks for the replies, I guess I need smaller bulbs. the lights aren't actually for fog at all, just to have a "triangle" of light to make me more visible. the voltmeter is a good idea... i may want to add accessories in the future. for now, it's smaller bulbs!
Someone said to go with 20w bulbs. I haven't seen any that low. But its a good idea. I wonder if they are bright enough to get a car's attention in daylight. A voltometer would be nice, but its just one more thing to get in the way. I just add the wattage of the farkles I have on in my head and keep it all under 100w.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts