StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my vee2 they had a promotion where I could recieve a free accessory package. Either a set of crash bars and fog lights, or a top case and mounting plate, I decide to go with the crash bars and lights.

After installing them,I wasn't quite happy with them, they were great for being seen, but did little to light up the road, as well, they shut off when you turned on your high beams.

I had a set of rigid industries dually led lights left from my old vee, and decided to swap out the oem fogs for these much brighter lights, they are about 1500 lumens each and draw 1.4 amps each, so I could still use the harness for the oem lights with a bit of modification.

These were the oem lights
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449525.372824.jpg

I had to remove the side cover where the relays were installed for the oem lights, the blue relay was a nc relay triggered by the high beam, cutting the power to the lights, I wanted to run them at the same time for maximum lighting at night so I removed the trigger wires and bypassed the relay
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449550.685300.jpg

The new new lights mounted using the oem hardware, minus the shrouds
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449661.177532.jpg

The lights are the flood pattern, on the road they light up the whole road, sky, ditch, and just about everything else ;)
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449816.658622.jpg

I'm really happy with them, I had them on a light bar for my old vee Triggered with the high beams
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421450105.500361.jpg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I picked up a set of removable Amber lenses for the fog lights, partly to dim the blinding sun like light coming from them, partly cause I thought it would look cool. ?

They just clip on, so they are removable, and they will protect the clear lense from damage

Regular low beam

Low beam plus fogs

Nice visibility

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fog lights, as supplied by Suzuki, stay on with low and high beams. IIRC there are relays to control which options are available.

I think it may depend on your local DOT regulations, and they supply the appropriate relays as such. Mine included both normally open and normally closed relays, the open triggered by the aux connector, the closed (open when triggered) triggered by the highbeams I just removed and bypassed the high beam relay

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Since my previous bike, the Glee, I have decided I don't want to spend the money Suzuki asks for fog lights, so I went on and purchased cheap chinese DRL's (spent €10 on pair, from eBay). Then I've got handlebars switch, also on eBay, for €6. I'm good at electronics so I made all the harness needed and installed the relay. Then I changed the bike, to Vee2. Transfered my DRL's to new bike, made little light bar bellow main beam. They are 15W, arround 1000 lumens each. As I always had to switch them off for the night riding, I decided to install one more pair, for night riding. This pair, again from eBay for €12, is 20W. I installed triple layer of professional lighting filter, to match the color of main beam, and cut the light output, so I could use it at night. Monted the setup on Givi Crashbars. Then I worked on the switch. As it has 3 positions, I have one position for the day DRL, one position for the night lights and on position for OFF. I opened the switch and installe blue LED warning for when DRL's are on, so I don't forget to commute the switch for night riding as I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.
To resume, my bike now has, beside main light assembly, 4 extra lights (2 pairs). In total, I've spent arround €30 for all the bits, and lot of work and love.
It's important to say that all the extra lighting, for day and night, I installed not to give the bike more light output, but to make the bike much more visible. I can see it's all working well, as the traffic is moving away when I'm filtering between lanes. It means, I'm spotted in the mirrors of the cars at the front. Also, I noticed I have lot less problems with cars cutting my way from side streets. So, it's working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just installed cyclops 3.7 long range lights. with a dimmer which allows me to set difference intensity. 50% with low beam and 100% with high beam. did a write up on adv, heres the link. 2014 DL1000 Vstrom - Page 231 - ADVrider

Read your write up on ADV site. I have the same color and accessories that you do. After seeing the Jessie's bags now I not sure which bags to buy now! Those Jessies look awesome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Read your write up on ADV site. I have the same color and accessories that you do. After seeing the Jessie's bags now I not sure which bags to buy now! Those Jessies look awesome.
Thanks, I have the 8" as you may have read. the boxes really are nice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yesterday, on a straight portion of a country road, I saw a bike coming toward with amber colored lights similar to Dave's, holy crap, I could see him a quarter of a mile away. As he got closer, much closer, I could see he had on a bright yellow jacket. The lights were way more visible than the jacket.
I'm sure he never saw me, I was in stealth mode, invisible. :)

·
Vendor
5,067 Posts
I have some of those lights sitting on shelf with other less than useful products we have evaluated.

Beware these Motorcycle Headlight Conversion Motorcycle LED Headlamps Super Bright Lighting-Gold - USD $ 43.99

and these Marsing CREE XM-L U2 24W 1500lm Waterproof 3-Mode 6500K White Light Motorcycle LED Bulb (12-60V) - USD $ 18.74

While they look great in the ads, the beam is too narrow to be of any use on a motorcycle. The beam is very "laser pen" like. They come in a box marked "Transformers."

Also be aware that not all LED elements have equal output for the power consumed. Right now the American company CREE has the highest output per watt by far. Epistar of Taiwan is in second place at about 80 to 90% of the CREE output per watt. The generic Chinese elements run about 1/2 the output of the better lights. And most importantly, zillions of Chinese LEDs are sold claiming to have CREE elements that actually contain copies of copies of copies of the Chinese elements.

Also, while many lights you see look the same, there are Chinese companies that sell housing molds to the other Chinese companies, who in turn make identical looking light housings. These companies put their choice of circuitry, wiring, heat sink compound, and LED elements in the housings. And,...sadly... a very high percentage claim to have CREE elements that use the generic Chinese elements.

I know this paints a scary picture for the consumer, but on the bright side, some VERY expensive lights are repackaged with off the shelf wiring harnesses and off the shelf lights from some of these manufacturers. Yes, Dhose lights.

The mark up is horrendous. Every time I see someone post pics of Dhose lights I cringe at the money wasted and the ability of advertising to get insane profit levels out of the consumer.

Getting back to the cheap Chinese lights, the cheapest 10 watt broad beam (flood) lights do serve well to be seen by others. Based on reports by others, the failure rate appears to be slightly more than 1 out of 4 within a year. If it lasts a year it's probably good for many years. That's not too bad considering the cost.

We have evaluated many lights and do offer high quality CREE LED light kits with off the shelf wiring harnesses remarkably similar to other much more expensive light kits.

Auxiliary LED Lighting - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm not one for spending a lot on aftermarket lights but have you seen this site?
Motorcycle Lighting
These lights are so cheap I am wondering if they are any good. Of course it wouldn't be a great loss if they are not.
Looking at the site you've posted the link to, I've found the pair that I use as DRL's (no way you could use them at night).
12-80V 12W Motorcycle LED headlight (With Fixture and External Drive) - USD $ 9.99
The only difference is that mines are in black and were more or less the same price. They've seen many miles and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
Vendor
5,067 Posts
In my experience, yes they work.

The big differences show up in reliability and light output. For example, the amazon.com lights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXTMKIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.... that have been posted to Stromtroopers. They put out about 550 lumen. Useful for additional daylight lighting, but not so much at night. They almost certainly do not actually contain CREE elements.

I am fairly certain that many people post that they are happy with them after installation, but don't come back to report that they failed prematurely. I hear it a lot though in phone conversations from people looking for better lights. And of course if someone has had them and they haven't failed they will come to their defense.

I see them as useful if they fit your purpose and considering carrying them myself every once in a while, but then for what ever reason always decide not to.

Some real savings can be had with lights similar to the Denali D4s. The D4s are unique in that they have both 2 flood and 2 spot 5 watt elements for a total of 20 watts per light. However, similar lights are available that could be easily sold for $100 a pair vs $309 for the D4s. The difference being that they would have four 5 watt euro beams instead of 2 floods or two spots. I will probably carry these later this year, but need to find a good crash bar clamp to go with them.

And, just like in the earlier discussion, you can find similar looking lights with Chinese LEDs for much less. The mondo moto lights are another example. That housing is used by many Chinese companies. So it can appear that the light is available from many sources (and probably is), but you don't know about the circuitry, element, heat sink compound from one to the next.

One thing is for certain. Ds are grossly over priced.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm not one for spending a lot on aftermarket lights but have you seen this site?
Motorcycle Lighting
These lights are so cheap I am wondering if they are any good. Of course it wouldn't be a great loss if they are not.
I have two sets of chinese leds lights, used them in various weather, over several thousand kms, they are flawless.

At the end of the day, chinese or chinese rebrand, my stuff works, at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a set of these on my 05 DL 1000 and they are awesome.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5SACNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have some Givi S310s on my 14 DL 1000 that I will be replacing soon.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-s310-universal-trekker-halogen-spot-lights

I will be replacing them with these which I found on snagshout for 11 bucks. I will address some moisture issues to make sure they are as sealed up as the ones I have been running for years on my O5
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ATUZV9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts