StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has already been asked somewhere on this site but I am the poster child for computer illiteracy. I purchased some 55w running lights from Pepboys for my wee. My intent is for better daytime visibility. I have read the wee has very little power for accessories. If I connect the lights to a relay, will that solve the problem? What kind of relay do I buy? The auto stores have several different ones, 16 amp, 20 amp,etc. Any help would be appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
A relay will not solve the problem. For daytime visibility, use lower wattage lights. LEDs will draw less and provide the visibility you want. 35W incandescents are another option that may cost less but use more power, a consideration if you want to use heated gear.

Mount them low and separate from the headlights for best results. The separation better allows others to gauge your position and speed.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Hey, I recognize that bike! Happy to be served up as a positive example by Mr. Positive Example himself :mrgreen:

If you can't return the lights to Pepboys, you can probably get lower-wattage bulbs to put in them. Many inexpensive auxiliary lights use H3 bulbs; here are some 35W H3 bulbs for $3.60 each: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=253

If all you want is to be seen better, LEDs are definitely the way to go -- they use way less power even than 35W bulbs, are nearly indestructible, and will last the life of the bike. Here's my DIY solution (pictured above) using LED light heads designed for emergency vehicles: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/41386-fork-mounted-led-cop-lights-%3D-ultimate-running-lights.html

There are also several easy-to-install LED visibility light packages available. BikeVis and Hyperlites are both high quality; they're white lights though, and I believe yellow or amber provide extra visibility by contrasting with all the other headlights and DRLs on the road. AdMore Lighting has an amber kit available.

·
38,049 Posts
I thought you'd like that. It's a great example of how to do it right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I took your advice and purchased some cheap LED's. Now, I need to power these things. Is it possible to tap off the headlight power and have the aux lights come on when the bike starts up? Then I could bypass the included switch which I am having difficulty finding a place for anyway. If it is not possible, how are you guys running the red power wire all theway back to the battery? Are you going under the tank? It seems really hot under there which has me concerned the wire will melt.

·
38,049 Posts
You can wire the lights to the low beams. Black/white is ground and black/blue is low beam hot. By law, fog lights need to go out when low beams are not selected so wiring to the low beam wires handles that nicely. I'll recommend adding headlight relays. The stock system is marginal to start with and adding draw doesn't help though LEDs don't add much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. As far as the relay goes...what amp relay is necessary? How does it get hooked up? If I splice into the low beam hot, where would the relay go? Do I cut the low beam hot wire and plug it into the relay, and then plug the aux light hot wire into the relay? Sorry for all the questions but as you can probably tell electrical is not my bag

·
38,049 Posts
It sounds like that level is beyond your ability right now. Do some reading first. Electrical is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Just curious, and completely off topic,........why does Bdnees "Post Count" only show "2" posts?? He has posted 3 times in this thread and two times in another. Does the "post counter" only consider his single post in this thread.......and the other thread he started?????? Like I said, I could care less about posts counts......I just noticed his' when I opened this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
If you want to install a headlight relay as GW suggested (which is definitely a good idea), the easiest route is to buy the kit from Eastern Beaver: Suzuki VStrom Electrics

If your LEDs are just marker/running lights, as opposed to fog lights or driving lights which put light on the road, they don't have to go off when you switch to high beams. Obviously you still can tap the headlight wires to power them, but you don't have to. Since I have a fuse block under the seat, I wired mine to that.

how are you guys running the red power wire all theway back to the battery? Are you going under the tank? It seems really hot under there which has me concerned the wire will melt.
Here are instructions for running wires from the front of the bike, under the tank, back to the battery/underseat area: http://www.stromtrooper.com/724849-post5.html
Note that if you don't tap into the headlight wires, you need to run both the positive and ground wires back to the battery or fuse block -- you should NOT ground to the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to install a headlight relay as GW suggested (which is definitely a good idea), the easiest route is to buy the kit from Eastern Beaver: Suzuki VStrom Electrics

If your LEDs are just marker/running lights, as opposed to fog lights or driving lights which put light on the road, they don't have to go off when you switch to high beams. Obviously you still can tap the headlight wires to power them, but you don't have to. Since I have a fuse block under the seat, I wired mine to that.

Here are instructions for running wires from the front of the bike, under the tank, back to the battery/underseat area: http://www.stromtrooper.com/724849-post5.html
Note that if you don't tap into the headlight wires, you need to run both the positive and ground wires back to the battery or fuse block -- you should NOT ground to the frame.
Thanks for the guidance. I will try this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts