StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you are familiar with FOBO BIKE. It is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for motorcycles. I installed it on my 2011 V-Strom 650 ABS about a month ago. There are two metering/transmitting units. You screw them on the tire stems and monitor the tire pressure of each of your tires. They sync via Bluetooth with an app on your smart phone. You can use the app to check the pressure on your phone. It will also send you alerts via a text message or email if the pressure drops below predefined limits. It will also notify you when you are riding if you have a Bluetooth enabled helmet.

It has certainly made me more disciplined about keeping the right pressure in my tires.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Yeah - I have a TPMS and its reassuring to see the pressure each ride.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I has tire monitoring on my 800ST BMW. Neat item. Nice to have the information at had but the occasional check with a tire gauge seems to be adequate for most of us.
When I got a chip seal shard in the rear tire, the bike let me know. I rode several miles to a good spot for a plug event.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have been running TPMS on my cars and bikes for about 7 years and I think they are the best thing to be invented since they discovered BEER.

For many the App would be OK but for me I prefer a stand alone system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is only a month old but the battery still shows 100%. That is another nice feature of the Bluetooth interface to your smart phone, it tells you the battery strength of the sensors.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What kind of battery life do systems like that have? Realistically, not just what those companies advertise.
The units go to sleep when not in use so the battery life is dependant on use, but they are very good.

I use the Tyredog system on my cars and get about 6 to 8 months from the 2xAAA batteries in the display unit and 12 to 18 months from the wheel sender unit batteries, the display can be plugged into 12v but I have found that unnecessary because of the good battery life.

On my bikes I use a cheap ebay copy that is branded TPMS, the sender batteries give about 12 months but it only has one AAA battery in the display unit and about 2 months is all it is good for.

I would highly recommend the Tyredog system but I would not purchase one of the cheap ebay units again, it can sometimes require a reset when it should never need one and will shutdown for no good reason.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What sort of security does the Fobo stuff have ?

If it is only Bluetooth does that mean I could steel the senders from your wheels and use them with my phone or is there a security code that is required ?

With the Tyredog system the sender units are coded to only work with the one display unit so there is no point steeling the senders off another vehicle, (the bolt on security system is next to useless if you really want to steel the senders.) you can buy programmable senders if you happen to loose one of the Tyredog senders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The units go to sleep when not in use so the battery life is dependant on use, but they are very good.

I use the Tyredog system on my cars and get about 6 to 8 months from the 2xAAA batteries in the display unit and 12 to 18 months from the wheel sender unit batteries, the display can be plugged into 12v but I have found that unnecessary because of the good battery life.

On my bikes I use a cheap ebay copy that is branded TPMS, the sender batteries give about 12 months but it only has one AAA battery in the display unit and about 2 months is all it is good for.

I would highly recommend the Tyredog system but I would not purchase one of the cheap ebay units again, it can sometimes require a reset when it should never need one and will shutdown for no good reason.
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to look into them then. I was guessing a few months tops. 12 months would be great!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to look into them then. I was guessing a few months tops. 12 months would be great!
The batteries are cheap and take about 10 seconds to change so don't be put off.

As well as the safety I love the convenience of a TPMS.

You get a advanced warning that you are loosing pressure you often get to choose where and when you repair the leak, EG: in a nice comfortable town with a pub, coffee shop and a air compressor instead of on the side of the road with pesky fly's and no shade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The way the FOBO's work is the sensors on each tire communicates via Bluetooth to the FOBO ap on your smartphone. The FOBO ap on your phone communicates to FOBO HQ via the Internet.

If you want to see the current pressure in your tires you click on the ap on your phone and, if you are within Bluetooth range (30 feet) it will tell you the current pressure in each tire. If you are not within Bluetooth range it will tell the last reading when you were in range.

The connection back to FOBO HQ gives you two things. (1) If the pressure drops below the prescribed amount FOBO HQ will send you an text and/or email message to your smartphone notifying you. (2) FOBO HQ is where your sensors are registered. If someone steals your sensor and tries to use them FOBO HQ will not allow them to be registered on another smartphone and they won't work.

When you are riding, and if you have a Bluetooth enabled helmet, the Bluetooth ap on your smartphone will give you a warning immediately.

You have to have a smartphone that supports Bluetooth and Internet.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The way the FOBO's work is the sensors on each tire communicates via Bluetooth to the FOBO ap on your smartphone. The FOBO ap on your phone communicates to FOBO HQ via the Internet.

If you want to see the current pressure in your tires you click on the ap on your phone and, if you are within Bluetooth range (30 feet) it will tell you the current pressure in each tire. If you are not within Bluetooth range it will tell the last reading when you were in range.

The connection back to FOBO HQ gives you two things. (1) If the pressure drops below the prescribed amount FOBO HQ will send you an text and/or email message to your smartphone notifying you. (2) FOBO HQ is where your sensors are registered. If someone steals your sensor and tries to use them FOBO HQ will not allow them to be registered on another smartphone and they won't work.

When you are riding, and if you have a Bluetooth enabled helmet, the Bluetooth ap on your smartphone will give you a warning immediately.

You have to have a smartphone that supports Bluetooth and Internet.
Does that all mean if you have no phone service you don't get the warning ?

I like having the pressures displayed in front of me all the time while I'm on the move, if the bike ever feels a little odd a quick glance will confirm the pressures are good or going bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts