StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Jason, I’ve lived in Norco CA for about the last three years. I’ve been off two wheels for about a decade, and now I live out where traffic is a LITTLE less insane, the bug hit hard. Mainly b/c lots of people in town ride Harleys.

Well, back in January I picked up a fixer Road King. Yeah… I’ve ridden it around the block three times, its in pieces in my yard, and I’m gonna have to pump in ANOTHER grand to make sure its not gonna self destruct. So, kinda over Harleys before it got off the ground.

In the mean time, my daily ride is a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 that I drug out of a neighbor’s barn and paid $300 for. I do a little over 125 miles a week commuting and other stuff.

I’ve got friends with dual sports, I’ve even own a DRZ400SM in the past. But what really got me down the V-strom rabbit hole, is that I’ve got a co-worker with a late model R1200GS that he rides in every single day, even when that weird water came out of the sky that one week quite a while back. (Remember, SoCal.) That thing is badass, and has re-awoken my desire for anything two-wheeled and BMW.

Being a recent old-fixer-homeowner, I’m not gonna drop multiple thousands on a beemer! So back in August, I picked up a 2002 DL1000 with about 64K miles… for an even $1000. Now, it had been in a little low-speed, low side incident, (That's ok, because I dropped it myself on the same side after about 36 hours of owning it) It needed a TPS, it has a K&N filter and the Two Brothers (un)mufflers that needed correction.

So, I put a new set of plugs in. Replaced the TPS and got lucky and had it bang on immediately when calibrating. Cleaned the crusty goopy K&N. Put on a Dynojet PCFC. It runs great now! Got a set of Shinko 804/805 ready to put on. But, the front rim is a little more bent than I’d like, so I’m working on finding someone to straighten it, or getting lucky finding another rim/ or even a rim swap. (My first thread here…)

So, that’s where I’m at with the V-strom. Personally, I believe: Motorcycles need not have more than two cylinders, 45-degree V-twins are a good thing (all my bikes are!) fuel injection is not a great thing and should be avoided where possible (but dang that PCFC fixed me up fast!) and that so long as nobody messes with the 2nd Amendment, all will be fine. ;)

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Didja call David Moore yet about your rim?
2nd amendment says right to bare arms. Not what kind. I think they were talking black powder with a frizzen.
So get you best wife beater shirt on and armor up.

Oh, the DL is a 90 degree motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts