StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still installing a bunch of farkles on my new to me 05 wee; got stalled out when the temps hit 0 f. A couple of my farkles off of my last bike I'm installing are a Garmin 665 w/cm radio hooked into the sound system part of my J&M CB. I'm considering getting a compact FM radio to add to the mix so I can get local traffic reports for my commute.

Does anyone use an FM Radio on your bike for traffic reports, and what equipment / radio do you use?
Doug

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I believe the with 665 you can add on XM, weather and Traffic subscriptions, for a cost. Nice thing about the Garmin traffic is it can automatically suggest and plan an alternative route.

·
Registered
15,503 Posts
I seem to have traffic on my new 2455 nuvi Garmin. wondered if it worked all the time or just when a route is chosen for redirection. I did notice that it indicated a traffic situation of some local construction though. I think I love this new toy!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had forgotten about the Garmin 665 traffic service possibility. It seems like they had a subscription available. It would be very nice, however, to have a 1X cost of an FM Radio vs ongoing subscription costs that never end if I want the Garmin traffic service.

The radio that I like is a Jensen made for motorcycling : $200+. I'm looking for other, less expensive options.

Doug

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Understandable. No solution here but a possibility. I bluetooth my IPhone to my Garmin 550 for calls and bluetooth my 550 to my headset for Phone, GPS, and music (in my 550). My other half bluetooths her IPhone to her headset and uses the phone with a GPS app for her music and GPS (she rides her own). With a local traffic radio station app on your phone I assume you could bluetooth or harwire it to something to be able to hear it. Should be some possibilities out there for your needs and set up

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the ideas & responding.

I just checked pricing ; $3.99/mo for weather service, $7/mo for weather + traffic service.
Ouch.

On a different note, I finally for around to updating my profile.

Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Got around to"

This typing thing on my phone is annoying when I don't notice that it's not getting what I typed in an automatically substitutes.
Doug

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
"Got around to"

This typing thing on my phone is annoying when I don't notice that it's not getting what I typed in an automatically substitutes.
Doug
I just figured that you "Utahanians" talked a bit different

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I use the Tune in radio app on my smartphone to listen to the local traffic and news station through the bluetooth connection in my Sena SMH-10-11 head set.

I also use the Waze app for turn by turn navigation and traffic. its crowd sourced and works great in urban areas. Turn by turn cuts over the radio or music app.

I reserve my Garmin for the car or when I am trtaveling far from home. or in the tooly pucker brush.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday I bought a Jensen JHD910 weather proof radio at our local Suzuki dealership. They've had the unit hanging around for a few years, so they sold it to me for $170 out the door (retail was $235). I already have an antenna/mount & a whole bunch of RAM mount parts.
Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
testing

Just testing signature update
Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another quick test...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm still installing a bunch of farkles on my new to me 05 wee; got stalled out when the temps hit 0 f. A couple of my farkles off of my last bike I'm installing are a Garmin 665 w/cm radio hooked into the sound system part of my J&M CB. I'm considering getting a compact FM radio to add to the mix so I can get local traffic reports for my commute.

Does anyone use an FM Radio on your bike for traffic reports, and what equipment / radio do you use?
Doug
I'd vote for using your smartphone and the iheartradio app.
I've switched over to that setup.
Stream right from the phone to my Sena SMH10 and I'm good to go.
Guess it depends on that your FM stations are in fact supported by the app though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts