StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't fish at all, just never had the patience for it. But a coworker of mine is coming to Denver in late may for a conference and wants to take one of his blue chip clients fly fishing. He was asking me about location recommendations. Since I don't fish at all, I figured I'd ask here. Alternatively, recommend a flyfishing shop near downtown that can point him in the right direction and give him local fishing insights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
If he hires a guide, the fishing is real good on the S. Platte near Deckers. "Gold Metal Trout Waters". But if you don't know the hatch,the water patterns,etc, it is real difficult. It gets plenty of pressure. If you are looking for real Trophy fishing, thats the closest, and guides can be had for a fair price. Otherwise you could spend weeks finding the fish. Expecting to just go and get lucky when you don't know the area, is difficult at best. There is lots of good fishing in South Park, but again, knowing where, and what the fish are wanting at that moment is very difficult.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Norm. I've wondered what the fishing was like there as I've ridden that area many times. If you've never been it's a nice ride on the Strom.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Been there many times. Fished it a few. But I don't like the crowds. So i usually try to fish places that are fairly inaccessalble. I don't personally know any guides that use that area. But I know some people who would.
Find out what kind of fishing they want. Trophy (Yuppy) fishing, or the real thing. When you say "Fly" fishing anymore it's sounds like Yuppy fishing. You know, like ridding a Harley or Beemer. "If you don't have the latest, fanciest, gear, your not with it". The rest of us just like to fish. We don't try to win fashion contests. Like, I like to ride,or, I like to ride to the bar and talk about riding.:fineprint:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since I don't fish, and don't even know the particular client this guy is wanting to take out, I have no idea what "kind" of fly fishing he's into. I told him a guide would be worthwhile since neither one of them are familiar with Colorado and he's going to be expensing the trip anyway. I called a local shop to ask for a recommendation and they suggested Blue Quill Anglers, so I passed that along and I'm out of it from there. I'm just hoping I can avoid the conference since it's "in my backyard" and I can either ride or get some real work done instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts